Egypt, 5 Arab nations in live ammunition military drills

1 / 2
Egyptian tanks take part in the Arab Shield military exercises in the Matrouh Governorate Mohamed Naguib miilitary base, northwest of the capital Cairo. (AFP)
2 / 2
Egyptian tanks take part in the Arab Shield military exercises in the Matrouh Governorate Mohamed Naguib miilitary base, northwest of the capital Cairo. (AFP)
Updated 15 November 2018

Egypt, 5 Arab nations in live ammunition military drills

  • Thursday’s drills were held in the western desert around the “Mohammed Naguib” military base
  • Forces from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan took part in the maneuvers

MARSA MATROUH, EGYPT: Military units from Egypt and five other Arab nations have conducted war drills with live ammunition in the Egyptian desert west of Cairo.
Thursday’s drills were held in the western desert around the “Mohammed Naguib” military base near the coastal Mediterranean city of Marsa Matrouh.
The drills, codenamed “Arab Shield,” bring together ground, naval and air units from Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Jordan and Kuwait. They are scheduled to end Friday.
Thursday’s drills involved target practice by rocket launchers, tanks and fighter-jets.
Egypt has been holding separate drills with each of these five Arab nations in recent years, but Arab Shield marked the first time that all six allies simultaneously participated in war games.


US reaches ceasefire deal with Turkey in northern Syria

Updated 9 min 27 sec ago

US reaches ceasefire deal with Turkey in northern Syria

ANKARA: Turkey has agreed to completely end military operations in northern Syria after Kurdish fighters withdraw from a safe zone, US Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday.
Turkey's operation "will be halted entirely on completion" of the pullout, Pence told reporters after talks in Ankara.
"Great news out of Turkey," Donald Trump tweeted, shortly before Pence announced in Ankara that Turkey had agreed to end its military operation once Kurdish fighters withdraw from a safe zone.
"Millions of lives will be saved!" Trump wrote.


Trump's chief of staff had earlier said the president may revoke a White House invitation extended to Erdogan, depending on the outcome of the talks in Ankara.
"It's still on the schedule," Mike Mulvaney told reporters, "but I think that's one of those wait and see things."
"The president's been very clear about what he wants to see out of President Erdogan," he added.