Tyson Fury claims Deontay Wilder will duck out of a rematch after controversial draw

Many felt Tyson Fury was the valid winner after the judges scored the heavyweight fight as a draw. (AFP)
Updated 03 December 2018

Tyson Fury claims Deontay Wilder will duck out of a rematch after controversial draw

  • British boxer has little hope Wilder will be prepared to get back into the ring with him.
  • Fury wants to fight Wilder once again before setting up clash with Anthony Joshua.

LOS ANGELES: Tyson Fury said on Monday WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder will try to avoid a rematch with him “at all costs” after their epic draw in Los Angeles.

Wilder retained his belt on Saturday after a thrilling 12-round battle ended in a split decision draw at the Staples Center.

The result means the American is still in a position to achieve his dream of unifying the heavyweight division against Fury’s fellow Briton Anthony Joshua, who holds the WBA, IBF and WBO versions of the title.

After the bout, Wilder said he would prefer to target Joshua’s titles in a bid to unify the division but would be satisfied with either a rematch against Fury or a chance to take on Joshua.

But Fury said that Wilder could try to avoid him.

“I’ve got a funny feeling he’s going to get his running shoes out and stay away from me at all costs,” he told Britain’s ITV network.

“I’m only getting better, and better and better. I can beat them all but they need to fight me. We need to give Britain the biggest fight in British boxing history and that’s me and Joshua.

“Let’s make it happen. The country wants it, I want it, everybody wants it. The only people who don’t seem to want it is their team,” he added.

Wilder’s trainer Jay Deas told BBC radio he would want Wilder to take on Fury again before a potential fight with Joshua.

“If it’s something that people would like to see again we would absolutely love to do it. Both guys put on a tremendous fight,” Deas said.

“If it was up to me — and only me — I would like to do the Fury fight first because I think there is unfinished business.

“If the money makes sense in the UK I would love to do it there. Deontay has never had a problem with traveling. That’s not the issue at all.”


Ibrahimovic’s return to training with Sweden’s Hammarby sparks rumors about future

Updated 10 April 2020

Ibrahimovic’s return to training with Sweden’s Hammarby sparks rumors about future

STOCKHOLM: AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s return to training in Sweden with Hammarby, the club he part owns, as the coronavirus pandemic continues to lockdown Italy, has fueled speculation regarding his future.

Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport reported the 38-year-old Ibrahimovic will choose against renewing his Milan deal which finishes at the end of the season.

The Swedish outfit’s president, Richard Von Yxkull, said the decision was in the hands of the attacker who played 116 times for his country before retiring from international duty in 2016.

“It’s about knowing how Zlatan sees his future and what he wants to do,” Von Yxkull told newspaper Dagens Nyheter.

Earlier in April the Spanish, Italian, French and Dutch league winner said he wanted to stay in the game after retiring.

“I want to learn something new about football, with a different angle. I will contribute from the sidelines, not on the pitch,” he told newspaper Svenska Dagbladet.

Ibrahimovic’s last Milan appearance was the loss to Genoa on March 8.

All football in Italy has been suspended due to the coronavirus which has claimed the lives of nearly 18,000 people in the country.

Measures to fight the outbreak in Sweden are lighter which have allowed Ibrahimovic to train with Stockholm’s Hammarby, a side which he bought a 25-percent share in last November.

Ibrahimovic started his career with hometown club Malmo before trophy-laden spells with some of the world’s biggest outfits including Juventus, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain before rejoining Milan in January.