Arab coalition issues permits for food and fuel ships heading to Yemeni ports

A picture taken on December 24, 2018 shows a view of container cranes at the docks in the port of the Yemeni Red Sea city of Hodeidah. (AFP)
Updated 03 January 2019

Arab coalition issues permits for food and fuel ships heading to Yemeni ports

  • The Saudi-led coalition pointed out the presence of four ships that have waiting to enter the port of Hodeidah for 12 days
  • The Higher Committee for Relief has revealed that the Houthi militias detained more than 88 aid, commercial and oil vessels

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition issued 10 permits for ships heading to Yemeni ports carrying food and oil, according to Saudi state-news channel Al-Ekhbariya. The coalition pointed out the presence of four ships that have waiting to enter the port of Hodeidah for 12 days.
The Higher Committee for Relief has revealed that the Houthi militias detained more than 88 aid, commercial and oil vessels, and prevented them from entering the ports of Hodeidah and Saleef in western Yemen from May 2015 to December 2018, of which 34 vessels were unloaded after being held by the militias for more than 6 months.

Houthi actions slammed
Yemen’s Minister of Information Muammar Al-Iyrani appreciated World Food Programme’s (WFP) reaction to Houthi militias’ manipulation of food aid.
In a statement to the Yemeni News Agency, Al-Iryani said the WFP’s reaction indicates that the Iranian-backed Houthis are deliberately exacerbating the humanitarian crisis. They are causing people to starve and trying to capitalize on their plight, he said.
“The Houthi militia deliberately deprives millions of Yemenis of salaries, livelihoods and aid from donor countries, increasing their suffering, and pushing many of them to participate in the war, after opening the door of recruitment and joining the fronts as a single option for those who lost their sources of income.”

KSRelief operations
The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) recently signed a contract to deliver food aid to displaced people in parts of Yemen.
 The aid package will be distributed among 4,560 beneficiaries in Marib and Saadah governorates.
 KSRelief is carrying out several projects to alleviate the suffering of Yemenis without any discrimination. The relief projects include distribution of food, clothing and shelter among the displaced population.
The center is working on 301 humanitarian projects in different sectors such as health care, education and rehabilitation of war victims and children.

Health care
KSRelief has, so far, provided medical treatment for more than 21,000 injured Yemenis, both inside and outside Yemen.
A total of 6,452 Yemenis received treatment in private sector hospitals in Yemen, while 1,000 received treatment in Yemeni medical centers specializing in eye injuries.
In addition, 12,795 cases were transferred to Saudi Arabia, 534 to Jordan, 280 to Sudan and one to India.
KSRelief provides health services to all Yemeni people in coordination with the Yemeni Higher Relief Committee represented by the Yemeni Ministry of Health and Population, and local and international partners.

Rehabilitation
The center is taking special measures for the rehabilitation of Yemeni children who were forced by the Iranian-backed Houthis to join militias as soldiers.
KSRelief has devised a comprehensive strategy to help these children by providing them with education and arranging recreational activities for their proper mental growth.
It organizes recreational trips for batches of children under its care. As part of its plan to rehabilitate 2,000 of the children recruited by the Houthi militias in Yemen, KSRelief has already rehabilitated 215 children from several Yemeni governorates through previously implemented courses and phases.


Iranian Parliament calls for block on nuclear inspections

Updated 30 November 2020

Iranian Parliament calls for block on nuclear inspections

  • MPs said the “best response” to Fakhrizadeh’s assassination would be to “revive Iran’s glorious nuclear industry”
  • Tehran allowed additional inspections as part of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)

LONDON: Iran’s Parliament has called for international inspectors to be barred from accessing the country’s nuclear facilities, in response to the killing of top nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.

In a statement issued on Sunday, MPs said the “best response” to Fakhrizadeh’s assassination would be to “revive Iran’s glorious nuclear industry” by halting the voluntary implementation of protocols that allow more intrusive inspections of the country’s nuclear facilities.

Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesman for Iran’s atomic energy organization, told Iranian media on Saturday that the issue of inspectors’ access “must be decided on at high levels” of the country’s leadership.

The Supreme National Security Council, a body directly answerable to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, usually handles decisions related to the country’s nuclear program.

Tehran allowed additional inspections as part of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), widely referred to as the Iran nuclear deal, which eased crippling economic sanctions on the country in exchange for heavy restrictions on the development of its nuclear industry.

The JCPOA has faced heavy scrutiny from the Trump administration, which has taken several steps to roll back the various concessions made to Iran as part of the deal.