Arab coalition targets Yemen’s Houthi drone capabilities in Sanaa

The Arab coalition fighting to support the legitimate government in Yemen said it has targeted Houthi drone capabilities in a military operation in Sanaa and called on civilians not to approach the targeted sites. (File photo/SPA)
Updated 20 January 2019

Arab coalition targets Yemen’s Houthi drone capabilities in Sanaa

  • The coalition said it has taken the necessary measures to protect civilians
  • It assured that the military operation is consistent with international humanitarian law

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition fighting to support the legitimate government in Yemen said it has targeted Houthi drone capabilities in a military operation in Sanaa and called on civilians not to approach the targeted sites.
The coalition said it has taken the necessary measures to protect civilians during the military operation in the Houthi-held Yemeni capital.
It assured that the military operation is consistent with international humanitarian law.

The operation, which took place late on Saturday, targeted several Houthi-held camps, including one which was formally called the First Armored Division camp when it was held by the Yemeni army before the Houthi militia took over.
The coalition also targeted the Al-Dailami air base, Al-Siyana military compound, and the Al-Nahdain mountain
A coalition aircraft also launched two rockets toward the Al-Hasba area north of the Yemeni capital.

Spokesperson of the coalition, Col. Turki Al-Maliki said that the targeting operation came after the intelligence was collected on Houthi activity and surveying their movement. The intelligence gathered helped to identify the network of the Houthis and their operational infrastructure, Al-Maliki explained.

The intelligence gathered helped destroy manufacturing workshops and spare parts, installation workshops and booby-traps, inspection facilities and the preparation of launchers platforms as well as training facilities for terrorist operations.


Turkey may resume talks with Greece, warns against EU sanctions

Updated 51 sec ago

Turkey may resume talks with Greece, warns against EU sanctions

  • Countries locked in a bitter dispute over the extent of their continental shelves in the eastern Mediterranean
  • Tensions flared last month when Turkey sent a vessel to survey for gas and oil in contested waters
ISTANBUL: Turkey and Greece could soon resume talks over their contested Mediterranean claims but European Union leaders meeting this week will not help if they threaten sanctions, Turkey’s presidential spokesman said on Sunday.
The NATO members and neighbors have been locked in a bitter dispute over the extent of their continental shelves in the eastern Mediterranean. Tensions flared last month when Turkey sent a vessel to survey for gas and oil in contested waters.
European Union member Greece condemned the move as illegal and pressed, along with Cyprus, for a strong response from EU leaders when they meet on Thursday.
Ankara withdrew the Oruc Reis vessel last week. It described the move as a routine maintenance stop but later said it opened up the chance for diplomacy to reduce tensions with Athens.
“At this point, the climate has become much more suitable for negotiations to begin,” presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin told Dogan News Agency.” “… Exploratory talks may start again.”
Last month Greece and Turkey were on the verge of resuming those “exploratory” talks, suspended in 2016. But Turkey broke off contact and sent Oruc Reis into disputed waters after Greece signed a maritime demarcation deal with Egypt, angering Ankara.
Erdogan has had talks with EU Council president Charles Michel, who chairs the meetings of EU leaders, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who is seeking to ease the crisis.
But Cyprus, protesting the presence of two Turkish exploration vessels in waters off the divided island, insists on sanctions against Ankara and has blocked EU action against Belarus for alleged election fraud until its demands are met.
“Threats of blackmail and of sanctions against Turkey does not give results,” Kalin said. “European politicians should know this by now.”
Erdogan tweeted at the weekend that Turkey believed the dispute could be resolved through dialogue while still defending its rights in the region.
“We want to give diplomacy as much space as possible, by listening to every sincere call,” he tweeted. “With this vision, we will continue to defend any drop of water and area of our country to the end.”