Ghani calls for government-led Afghan peace process as US-Taliban talks end 

Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani speaks to the media after arriving to register as a candidate for the upcoming presidential election at the Afghanistan's Independent Election Commission (IEC) in Kabul, Afghanistan January 20, 2019. (Reuters)
Updated 13 March 2019

Ghani calls for government-led Afghan peace process as US-Taliban talks end 

  • On Tuesday night, US and Taliban representatives wrapped up longest round of peace talks with progress but no breakthrough
  • “Ownership of the peace process belongs to people and government,” Ghani says in televised address

KABUL: President Ashraf Ghani said on Wednesday any attempt to find a negotiated settlement to the 17-year-long Afghan war must be led by his government, a day after US and Taliban representatives announced that they were closer to finalizing a deal following 16 days of intensive talks.
On Tuesday night, US and Taliban representatives wrapped up their longest round of peace talks with progress but no breakthrough on two important elements: a promise from the Taliban that they would not allow militant attacks from Afghanistan and a US plan for the withdrawal of troops.
Talks are expected to resume in late March but no set date has been announced. 
The Taliban have so far refused to speak directly to the Afghan government which they consider a western-backed puppet regime. 
“The ownership of the peace process belongs to people and the government,” Ghani said in a speech aired on Afghan news channels. 
In six weeks, the president is expected to summon a Loya Jirga of hundreds of Afghan politicians and tribal, ethnic, and religious leaders to discuss negotiations with the Taliban and “work on the framework, limits and goals” of the peace process. 
Talks ended on a day on which Taliban insurgents stepped up pressure on the battlefield, killing 20 Afghan soldiers and capturing another 20 in western Afghanistan. In another province, officials said an airstrike killed both Taliban fighters and civilians.
About 14,000 US troops are based in Afghanistan as part of a US-led NATO mission to train, assist and advise Afghan forces. Some US forces carry out counter-terrorism operations.
The United States has been pushing the Taliban to agree to a cease-fire and to talk with Afghanistan’s government.
A spokesman for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani tweeted on Tuesday that he hoped to see a long-term cease-fire agreement and the start of direct talks between the government and Taliban soon.
Several officials from Ghani’s administration too hailed progress in peace talks so far.
Sibghat Ahmadi, a foreign ministry spokesman, said the Afghan government welcomed the “recent progress made in negotiations between [US team led by special envoy Zalmay] Khalilzad and Taliban representatives.”
On Tuesday, Afghan-born Khalilzad tweeted about the progress also, saying the two sides “had detailed discussions to reach an understanding on issues that are difficult and complicated.”
The Taliban, who have since last year held multiple rounds of peace talks with Khalilzad and his team, also said progress had been made.
“This round of talks saw extensive and detailed discussions taking place regarding two issues that were agreed upon during January talks,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, said in a statement. “Those two issues were the withdrawal of all foreign forces from Afghanistan and preventing anyone from harming others from Afghan soil.”
“Progress was achieved regarding both these issues,” Mujahid said. “For now, both sides will deliberate over the achieved progress, share it with their respective leaderships.”
Retired General Attiqullah Amarkhail said the recent round of dialogue had created optimism and hope that a breaththrough would be reached in the next round.
“Optimism has gone up,” he said. “They [US and Taliban representatives] have agreed on two major issues and the other two matters [complete truce and the start of direct talks between Kabul and the Taliban] can take place at a later stage.”


Hong Kong police warn of ‘live fire’ if they face deadly weapons from protesters

Updated 17 November 2019

Hong Kong police warn of ‘live fire’ if they face deadly weapons from protesters

  • Protests have tremored through the global financial hub since June
  • China has repeatedly warned that it will not tolerate the dissent

HONG KONG: Hong Kong police Monday warned for the first time that they may use “live rounds” after pro-democracy protesters fired arrows and threw petrol bombs at officers at a beseiged university campus, as the crisis engulfing the city veered deeper into danger.
Protests have tremored through the global financial hub since June, with many in the city of 7.5 million people venting fury at eroding freedoms under Chinese rule.
China has repeatedly warned that it will not tolerate the dissent, and there have been concerns that Beijing could send in troops to put an end to the spiralling unrest.
Three protesters have been shot by armed police in the unrelenting months of protests. But all in scuffles as chaotic street clashes played out — and without such warnings being given.
A day of intense clashes, which saw a police officer struck in the leg by an arrow and protesters meet police tear gas with volleys of petrol bombs, intensified as night fell.
Clashes rolled across Kowloon, with the epicenter around the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU), where scores of defiant demonstrators set large fires to prevent police from conducting a threatened raid on the campus.
They hunkered down under umbrellas from occasional fire from water cannon and hurled molotov cocktails at an armored police vehicle, leaving it ablaze on a flyover near the campus.
Police declared the campus a “riot” scene — a rioting conviction carries up to 10 years in jail — and blocked exits as spokesman Louis Lau issued a stark warning in a Facebook live broadcast.
“I hereby warn rioters not to use petrol bombs, arrows, cars or any deadly weapons to attack police officers,” he said.
“If they continue such dangerous actions, we would have no choice but to use the minimum force necessary, including live rounds, to fire back.”
Police said they fired at a car late Sunday that had driven at a line of officers near the campus — but the vehicle reversed and escaped.
Protesters at the campus appeared resolute — a twist in tactics by a leaderless movement so far defined by its fluid, unpredictable nature.
“I feel scared. There’s no way out, all I can do is fight to the end,” said one protester joining the barricade in front of the university building.
“We need a base to keep our gear and have some rest at night before another fight in the morning,” another called Kason, 23, told AFP.
On Sunday, activists parried attempts by police to break through into the PolyU campus, firing rocks from a homemade catapult from the university roof, while an AFP reporter saw a team of masked archers — several carrying sports bows — patrolling the campus.
Violence has worsened in recent days, with two men killed in separate incidents linked to the protests this month.
Chinese President Xi Jinping this week issued his most strident comments on the crisis, saying it threatened the “one country, two systems” model under which Hong Kong has been ruled since the 1997 handover from Britain.
Demonstrators last week engineered a “Blossom Everywhere” campaign of blockades and vandalism, which forced the police to draft in prison officers as reinforcements, shut down large chunks of Hong Kong’s train network and close schools and shopping malls.
The movement, characterised by its fluidity and unpredictability, has started to coagulate in fixed locations, showing the protesters’ ability to switch tactics.
The protests started against a now-shelved bill to allow extradition to China but have billowed to encompass wider issues such as perceived police brutality and calls for universal suffrage in the former British colony.
The financial hub has been nudged into a recession by the unrelenting turmoil.
A poster circulating on social media called for the “dawn action” to continue on Monday.
“Get up early, directly target the regime, squeeze the economy to increase pressure,” it said.
The education bureau said schools will remain closed again on Monday.
Earlier on Sunday, dozens of government supporters gathered to clear barricades near the university campus — a sign of the divisions slicing through the city.
Many residents are wearied by the sapping protests. Others support the Chinese-backed city government.
Some applauded a Saturday clean-up by Chinese troops from a garrison of the People’s Liberation Army in Kowloon.
The garrison is usually confined to the barracks under Hong Kong’s mini-constitution, although it can be deployed at the request of the city’s government to help with public order breakdown or natural disasters.
Hong Kong’s government, which presides over a city that enjoys greater freedoms than the mainland, said it did not ask the PLA for help on Saturday.
The choreographed troop movement “has only compounded the impression that Beijing has simply ignored” Hong Kong’s unique political system, said analyst Dixon Sing.