Cardiff to claim Emiliano Sala transfer ‘null and void’

Sala died when the plane flying him to Cardiff crashed into the sea in January. (AFP)
Updated 25 March 2019

Cardiff to claim Emiliano Sala transfer ‘null and void’

  • Daily Telegraph report that the Welsh club are to claim that the $19.8m transfer fee for the Argentine was "null and void"

LONDON: Cardiff are set to tell FIFA that the £15 million ($19.8m) deal they agreed to pay Nantes for Emiliano Sala became “null and void” after he died in a plane crash, a report said on Monday.
The 28-year-old Argentine forward was killed when the small plane carrying him came down in the Channel on Jan. 21, two days after he completed his transfer from the French Ligue 1 side.
The Daily Telegraph said Sala signed a contract with Cardiff that was rejected by the Premier League and died before a revised one could be signed, adding that there is a dispute about whether he had agreed to sign a new deal.
According to the report, a source close to Cardiff said the agreement stipulated that Welsh and French football authorities had to confirm to both clubs that Sala “has been registered as a Cardiff City FC player and that the player’s International Transfer Certificate has been released.”
The source said this had not happened before Sala died.
“The transfer agreement between Cardiff and Nantes was subject to several conditions,” the source told the paper.
“If any were not satisfied, the contract would be deemed null and void, with no payment due. Nantes proposed that clause. They asked for the strict notification requirements.”
Nantes reportedly plan to dispute Cardiff’s case, saying the club completed the required paperwork.
The club last month referred their dispute with Cardiff over the transfer to FIFA, football’s governing body.
Britain’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) previously said the plane carrying Sala, piloted by David Ibbotson, did not have a commercial license.
But it said the journey would have been allowed as a “private” flight in which costs are shared between pilot and passenger.
It added that the basis on which Sala was a passenger had not been established.
The investigators also said since the pilot’s logbook and license were not recovered, it was unclear whether Ibbotson was authorized to fly at night.
Sala’s body was recovered from the wreckage early last month but Ibbotson’s body has not been found.


Formula One comes back to the track with Aramco as sponsors amid new coronavirus lockdown era

Updated 27 min 48 sec ago

Formula One comes back to the track with Aramco as sponsors amid new coronavirus lockdown era

  • The return to the track for F1 will also mark a first for Saudi Aramco that are sponsoring the global event
  • Lando Norris secured a career-best fourth place on the grid for McLaren for the season-opening Austrian Grand Prix

DUBAI: Sunday will see the return of Formula One with the first race of the season since the coronavirus pandemic hit the world and closed the sport down.

The return to the track for F1 will also mark a first for Saudi Aramco that are sponsoring the global event.

“We are thrilled to be sponsoring Formula 1. Millions of people around the world saw Aramco’s branding along the racing circuit today for the first time,” read a statement from the Saudi oil giant.

“As the world’s largest energy supplier and an innovation leader, our ambition is to find game-changing solutions for better, more efficiently performing engines and cleaner energy. Partnerships such as this are important to help us to deliver this goal.”

 

Video courtesy of Aramco 

Lando Norris secured a career-best fourth place on the grid for McLaren for the season-opening Austrian Grand Prix and admitted he had exceeded his own expectations.
The 20-year-old Briton qualified behind the pace-setting Mercedes pairing of pole sitter Valtteri Bottas and six-time champion Lewis Hamilton and Red Bull's Max Verstappen, but ahead of both Ferraris and other strong rivals including Racing Point's speedy ‘pink Mercedes’ cars.
“We had our expectations of where we thought we wanted to be and from the very beginning the Racing Points have clearly been extremely quick,” said Norris, who is embarking on his second F1 season.
“We never thought we’d be in a chance of beating them or getting close to them so we are delighted with this and with the car performance.
“The car started to come alive and feel better and better as it went to lower fuel levels and this track was very good for us last year. So we have confidence in the car and feel it suits us at the moment.
“Hopefully, the race goes well and we have two (consecutive) weekends of this and, hopefully, we can repeat it as well.”
Norris will start the race - his and the sport’s first F1 race for 216 days - alongside Verstappen with Alex Albon in the second Red Bull and Racing Point's Sergio Perez behind him.
His Ferrari-bound McLaren team-mate Carlos Sainz qualified eighth.

(With AFP)