UN slaps sanctions on 5 Malians for obstructing peace deal

This photo taken on July 14, 2016 shows a soldier of the United Nations mission to Mali standing guard near a UN vehicle after it drove over an explosive device near Kidal, northern Mali. (AFP file photo)
Updated 10 July 2019

UN slaps sanctions on 5 Malians for obstructing peace deal

UNITED NATIONS: The UN Security Council has added five Malians to the UN sanctions blacklist for obstructing implementation of a 2015 peace deal.
The three parties to the 2015 agreement were the government, a pro-government militia known as the Platform, and a coalition of groups called the Coordination of Movements of Azawad, which includes ethnic Arabs and Tuaregs who seek autonomy in northern Mali.
The council imposed a travel ban and asset freeze Tuesday on Mohamed Ould Mataly, a member of parliament from President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita’s political party; Ahmed Ag Albachar, a coalition member who heads a humanitarian commission in northern Kidal; and Mahri Sidi Amar Ben Daha, a member of the Platform.
Sanctions were also levied on dissident Houka Houka Ag Alhousseini and trafficker Mohamed Ben Ahmed Mahri.


Lithuania confirms first case of coronavirus

Updated 28 February 2020

Lithuania confirms first case of coronavirus

  • Lithuania reported on Friday its first confirmed case of coronavirus
  • Nigeria on Friday announced the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in sub-Saharan Africa

VILNIUS: Lithuania reported on Friday its first confirmed case of coronavirus, the government said, as the disease spreads rapidly worldwide.
Hopes that the virus would be contained to China vanished, with countries beginning to stockpile medical equipment and investors taking flight in expectation of a global recession.

New Zealand's health ministry on Friday also confirmed the country's first case of coronavirus in a person who recently returned from Iran.
Meanwhile, Nigeria on Friday announced the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in sub-Saharan Africa.
The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan earlier this week, Health Minister Osagie Ehanire said in a statement on Twitter.
“The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos,” Ehanire said.
Italy has become a hotbed of infection in recent days, with the largest outbreak in Europe.
But the low number of cases across Africa, which has close economic ties with China, the epicenter of the deadly outbreak, has puzzled health specialists.

In Greece, two new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to three.
The health ministry said one of the cases concerned a relative of a 38 year old woman in the northern town of Thessaloniki, the first confirmed case reported in Greece. The woman had recently returned from Milan in northern Italy.