Saudi entertainment authority launches shortlisting-stage for Qur’an and Athan competitions

General Entertainment Authority
Updated 27 August 2019

Saudi entertainment authority launches shortlisting-stage for Qur’an and Athan competitions

  • The winner of the Qur’an Recitation competition will receive a prize of $1.3 million, while the winner of the Athan competition will receive a prize of $530,000

JEDDAH: The second stage of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority (GEA) Qur’an and Athan Global Awards has been launched, and will see the shortlisting of 42,000 applicants registered so far. Earlier, the GEA announced that it has allocated a total prize fund of $3.2 million for what it called the largest Qur’an competition and the first Athan competition. The first stage finished on Aug. 18, and now the second stage will see the shortlisting of the registered applicants, participating from 162 countries.
24,766 competitors registered for the Qur’an recitation competition and 17,347 for the Athan competition.
In the Qur’an competition, Saudi Arabia topped the list with 9,082 applicants, while Egypt came in second with 5,184, followed by Pakistan with 1,822, Indonesia with 1,801, and India with 1,225. The remaining applicants came from a total of 157 countries.

FASTFACT

The winner of the Qur’an recitation competition will receive a prize of $1.3 million, while the winner of the Athan competition will receive $530,000.

The same five countries maintained their rankings in the Athan competition, which received 7,167 participants from Saudi Arabia, 2,872 from Egypt, 2,193 from Pakistan, 1,064 from Indonesia, and 956 from India, with the remaining also covering 157 countries.
The third stage involves live on-stage performances.
The winner of the Qur’an Recitation competition will receive a prize of $1.3 million, while the winner of the Athan competition will receive a prize of $530,000.


Houthi attack on Saudi Aramco facilities act of terror: Japanese defense minister

Updated 16 September 2019

Houthi attack on Saudi Aramco facilities act of terror: Japanese defense minister

TOKYO: Taro Kono, the defense minister of Japan, said that threats to his country’s oil supply was the “most worrying scenario” he could imagine in international relations, in the wake of attacks on Saudi Arabian oil production facilities. 

“The most pessimistic scenario right now is that something happens in the Straits of Hormuz and the oil supply gets cut down, and that would send a shock wave through the global economy. I think the price of oil is already rising after this attack on Saudi facilities, so that’s the most worrying scenario right now,” he told a conference in Tokyo, Japan.

However, speaking on the sidelines to Arab News, he insisted that Saudi Arabia would remain a reliable partner of Japan - which imports around 40 per cent of its crude from the Kingdom - and downplayed concerns about long-term supply problems.

“Saudi has been and will be an important source of our energy supply. We have international co-ordination, and we have reserves, so we are not really worried about that,” he said. 

Kono, who was until recently Japan’s foreign minister, said that his country would be seeking to promote diplomatic solutions to the latest Middle East conflagration. "We definitely need to ease the tension between those countries. As Foreign Minister, the last thing I was doing was calling the Iranian Foreign Minister and the French Foreign Minister to ease the tension the region through diplomatic actions, and I think it's important to continue doing it.

“This Houthi attack on Saudi is a little different, because it's a terrorist attack. I think we may require some kind of military operation against those drone attacks, and that's something out of Japan's constitutional boundary. I think Japan will be focusing on diplomatic efforts in easing tension in the region.”

He raised concerns about the apparent lack of sophistication in the recent attacks. “If it is really drones, that is a lot cheaper than any form of conventional missile,” he said.