Tiananmen Square ‘Tank Man’ photographer dies

Charlie Cole won the 1990 World Press Photo award for his picture of a solitary man defiantly blocking the path of a column of tanks. (Charlie Cole/Newsweek)
Updated 14 September 2019

Tiananmen Square ‘Tank Man’ photographer dies

  • American authorities confirmed the death of 64-year-old Charlie Cole in Bali
  • ‘Tank Man’ has become one of the defining images of the 20th century

JAKARTA: The photographer who snapped the defining image of China’s Tiananmen Square crackdown — a solitary man defiantly blocking the path of a column of tanks — has died in Indonesia, according to US officials.
American authorities confirmed the death of 64-year-old Charlie Cole in Bali, where the Texan had been a long-time resident.
“We offer our sincerest condolences to the family on their loss,” a state department official told AFP.
Cole won the 1990 World Press Photo award for his picture of a man in a white shirt, carrying a shopping bag in each hand, striding out into the road the day after troops killed hundreds of pro-democracy protesters in the heart of Beijing.
The man, whose identity remains unknown, stopped in front of a column of tanks and armored vehicles stretching far down the road, later climbing onto the vehicle to engage in a conversation with one of the tank crew as gunshots crackled in the air.
“Tank Man” has become one of the defining images of the 20th century, but the image remains largely unrecognized in China due to censorship of the image and the wider crackdown.
His mystique has been reinforced by his subsequent disappearance, probably at the hands of Chinese security forces.
Several photographers captured Tank Man’s lone figure on film that day. A picture of the scene by Jeff Widener of the Associated Press, snapped from the balcony of the Beijing Hotel, was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.


South Korean pop star Sulli found dead at her home

This undated photo released by Yonhap in Seoul on October 14, 2019 shows Sulli, a former member of top South Korean girl group f(x). (AFP)
Updated 15 October 2019

South Korean pop star Sulli found dead at her home

  • She recently appeared in a TV show and spoke out against online backlash she received over her lifestyle

SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean pop star and actress Sulli was found dead at her home south of Seoul on Monday, police said.
The 25-year-old was found after her manager went to her home in Seongnam because she didn’t answer phone calls for hours, said Kim Seong-tae, an official from the Seongnam Sujeong Police Department.
Kim said that there were no signs of foul play and that police did not find a suicide note.
“The investigation is ongoing and we won’t make presumptions about the cause of death,” said Kim, adding that security camera footage at Sulli’s home showed no signs of an intrusion.
In a statement sent to reporters, SM Entertainment, Sulli’s agency, said her death was “very hard to believe and sorrowful.”
Sulli’s legal name is Choi Jin-ri. She began her singing career in 2009 as a member of the girl band “f(x)” and also acted in numerous television dramas and movies.
She was known for her feminist voice and outspokenness that was rare among female entertainers in deeply conservative South Korea. She recently appeared in a TV show and spoke out against online backlash she received over her lifestyle.