Trump: US ‘locked and loaded’ to respond to attacks on Saudi oil facilities

Trump said US forces are ready to strike perpetrators of attacks on Saudi oil facilities. (AFP)
Updated 17 September 2019

Trump: US ‘locked and loaded’ to respond to attacks on Saudi oil facilities

RIYADH: US President Donald Trump on Monday said American forces are ready to strike back at whoever were behind the recent attacks on Saudi Arabia's oil refinery and oil field.

"There is reason to believe that we know the culprit, are locked and loaded depending on verification, but are waiting to hear from the Kingdom as to who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed!", he said in a tweet.

Trump also said he had also authorized the use of the U.S. emergency oil stockpile to ensure stable supplies after the attack, which shut 5% of world production.

“Based on the attack on Saudi Arabia, which may have an impact on oil prices, I have authorized the release of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, if needed, in a to-be-determined amount sufficient to keep the markets well-supplied,” he tweeted, “I have also informed all appropriate agencies to expedite approvals of the oil pipelines currently in the permitting process in Texas and various other States.”

Oil prices surged more than 15% at the open on Sunday on worries over global supply and soaring tensions in the Middle East.

On Sunday, a senior U.S. official told reporters that evidence from the attack, which hit the world's biggest oil-processing facility, indicated Iran was behind it, instead of the Yemeni Houthi group that had claimed responsibility.

— with Reuters

 


Saudi Arabia registers 35 new coronavirus deaths

Updated 26 min 18 sec ago

Saudi Arabia registers 35 new coronavirus deaths

  • The Kingdom recorded 1,342 new infected COVID-19 cases

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia announced 35 more deaths from COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the total number of deaths to 2,984.
The Ministry of Health also said that it has registered 1,342 new infected cases, now totalling 281,435 cases in the Kingdom.
The areas most affected were Jeddah with 97 new cases, followed by Makkah with 56 cases and then Madinah with 53 new infections.
The ministry also said that 1,635 patients have recovered from the coronavirus disease, bringing number of recovered cases to 243,688.
The Kingdom has just completed the annual Hajj season, under strict precautionary measures, and pilgrims who took part in this year’s pilgrimage must continue to wear electronic tags so authorities can track their 14-day quarantine once they return home.
So far, over 18 million people have been affected by the disease worldwide and it has killed almost 700,000 people.