Hashem Abu Baker, general director of the National Health Information Center

Hashem Abu Baker
Updated 30 September 2019

Hashem Abu Baker, general director of the National Health Information Center

Hashem Abu Baker has been the general director of the National Health Information Center (NHIC) since 2018. 

Previously, Abu Baker also served as the vice general director and assistant general director of the NHIC between 2017 and 2018.

From 2017 to 2018, he also served as the assistant supervisor of e-health programs and ICT at the information and communication technology department of the Ministry of Health.

From 2015 to 2017, Abu Baker was the health information communication technology director for Madinah. He also served as the national infrastructure director between 2013 and 2015, and the assistant director of e-health project management office between 2011 and 2013.

Abu Baker has extensive experience in information communication technology in government administration, having been an information technology manager between 2001 and 2009.

He completed his master’s degree in information system management from the University of Liverpool in 2009. 

The NHIC in association with the Saudi Health Council (SHC) organized Ideathon 2019 on Saturday in order to set a benchmark in emerging health care technology.

The objective was to enable the brightest national minds to create digital solutions through emerging technologies. Abu Baker said that Ideathon 2019 would be an intensive brainstorming event to help young talents generate fresh solutions to existing challenges in their communities.


Saudi foreign minister calls for ‘transparent and independent’ Beirut explosion investigation

Updated 09 August 2020

Saudi foreign minister calls for ‘transparent and independent’ Beirut explosion investigation

  • Prince Faisal bin Farhan told an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon
  • Minister condemns 'destructive hegemony' of Hezbollah, which has history of storing explosive materials among civilians

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia called for a transparent and independent investigation into the Beirut explosion, the Kingdom’s foreign minister said on Sunday.
Prince Faisal bin Farhan told an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon. He described the explosion that killed more than 150 people as “horrific.”

Prince Faisal said strong state institutions that work for the interests of the Lebanese people are vital to the reform required to guarantee Lebanon's political and economic future.
“The continued destructive hegemony of the terrorist organization Hezbollah worries us all, and we all know this organization’s history of using explosive materials and storing them among civilians in several Arab and European countries and in north and south America.”
“Lebanon is in dire need of comprehensive and urgent political and economic reform to ensure that this terrible disaster will not occur again,” he said.

He added that four planes carrying Saudi aid have arrived in Beirut.
The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) has provided 290 tons of medical equipment, food supplies and housing materials.

The conference was hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron.