Ukraine’s Zelensky ‘breaks record’ for world’s longest press conference

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky addresses an assembly of journalists during his day-long media marathon at a food court in Kiev. (AFP)
Updated 10 October 2019

Ukraine’s Zelensky ‘breaks record’ for world’s longest press conference

  • Hundreds of local and international journalists joined Zelensky around a table to pose questions in shifts
  • The president held forth on subjects such as the war in eastern Ukraine, relations with Russia and his phone call with US President Donald Trump that has led to a Washington impeachment probe

KIEV: Volodymyr Zelensky, a popular comedian before he was elected president of Ukraine this spring, promised to bring a fresh kind of politics to the ex-Soviet nation.
And on Thursday, he did what no politician had done before — a more than 12-hour press conference that Ukraine’s National Records Agency declared the longest in world history.
Around eight hours into the marathon event, Zelensky’s first major press conference since coming to power in May, a representative of the agency stood up to deliver the news.
The 41-year-old president reacted with surprise, saying he was a “modest” person and averse to celebrations.
The previous record was held by Belarus strongman Alexander Lukashenko, with a press conference that lasted over seven hours, Ukrainian media reported.
Zelensky’s feat has yet to be verified by an international body.
Thursday’s press conference was taking place at a trendy food court in central Kiev.
Hundreds of local and international journalists joined Zelensky around a table to pose questions in shifts.
The president held forth on subjects such as the war in eastern Ukraine, relations with Russia and his phone call with US President Donald Trump that has led to a Washington impeachment probe.
Zelensky told Ukrainian media he had injections to strengthen his vocal cords before the event.


Choueiri Group says proud of results as partnership with MBC Group ends

Updated 28 September 2020

Choueiri Group says proud of results as partnership with MBC Group ends

DUBAI: The Choueiri Group CEO has said he is proud of the results his company achieved with MBC Group as they end their partnership after 16 years. 
MBC announced earlier this month that its advertising partnership with Arabian Media Services (AMS), a Choueiri subsidiary, had come to an end.
“We are proud of the mutual trust, record growth and shared successes with MBC Group, over nearly 16 years of sustained growth, across all MBC channels, platforms and offerings,” Choueiri Group CEO and chairman Pierre Choueiri said on Monday. 
Their partnership started in 2005 and will come to an end at the end of the year.
“Our journey has been paved with challenges, opportunities, great achievements and tangible results. We obviously have a lot of gratitude and appreciation to MBC,” Choueiri added.
MBC, considered the largest media company in the Middle East and North Africa, announced it would be launching an in-house commercial advertising and sales unit.
The new MBC Media Services will be majority controlled by MBC Group and will begin operations at the start of the new year.
Going forward, Choueiri said he is “optimistic, or rather bullish about the future,” especially in light of Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 reform plan. 
“We are currently assessing new partnerships with top industry players across the advertising, media and entertainment spectrum,” he said.