Abu Dhabi launches first graduate level research-based AI university internationally

The announcement was made at Masdar City, a planned city project in Abu Dhabi. (File/AFP)
Updated 17 October 2019

Abu Dhabi launches first graduate level research-based AI university internationally

  • Registration will open in August 2020
  • PwC expects AI to contribute $16 trillion to the global economy by 2030

DUBAI: Abu Dhabi announced on Wednesday the founding of the first graduate level research-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) university in the world.

The establishment, named after the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Mohammed bin Zayed, will provide access to international AI systems for students and faculty.

“AI is already changing the world, but we can achieve so much more if we allow the limitless imagination of the human mind to fully explore it,” UAE Minister of State and chairman of the MBZUAI Board of Trustees Sultan Al-Jaber said.

PricewaterhouseCoopers reported that by 2030 AI is expected to contribute $16 trillion to the global economy and 14 percent to the UAE’s GDP.

MBZUAI will offer Master of Science (MSc) and PhD level programs in a number of areas, such as Machine Learning, Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing.

The university will provide all students with full scholarships and benefits, including a monthly allowance, health insurance and accommodation. It will also help students secure internships with local and global leading companies.

Registration opens in August 2020.


Turkey probes dozens over quake social media posts

Updated 49 min 55 sec ago

Turkey probes dozens over quake social media posts

  • Suspects accused of sharing fake images about the quake on social media
  • Death toll from Friday’s quake had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors

ISTANBUL: Turkish prosecutors are investigating dozens of people for “provocative” social media messages about the deadly earthquake in eastern Turkey, reports said Monday.
The death toll from Friday’s quake in Elazig province had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors amid the rubble.
The Ankara prosecutor’s office is checking 50 individuals on suspicion of “spreading fear and panic” and “insulting the Turkish people, the Turkish republic and the state institutions,” the Hurriyet daily said.
The suspects are accused of sharing fake images about the quake on social media.
Turkish authorities were winding up their rescue efforts on Monday.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told reporters that 24,000 tents had been provided, 1,000 container shelters were being built, and funds released to repair damaged buildings.
Thirty-five of the victims died in Elazig and four in the neighboring province of Malatya, officials said.
Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 86 injured were still being treated in hospitals — 18 of them in intensive care units.