President Aoun calls for merit-based Lebanese government and shift away from sectarian system

1 / 2
Demonstrators wave Lebanese flags as the pass by Lebanese soldiers during a protest in Beirut Thursday. (Reuters)
2 / 2
Lebanese men watch a televised speech by Lebanon's president Michel Aoun. (AFP)
Updated 31 October 2019

President Aoun calls for merit-based Lebanese government and shift away from sectarian system

  • The president's apparent concessions are greeted with skepticism by the protesters
  • Hezbollah parliamentary bloc says Hariri resignation wastes time

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president Thursday said the country’s next cabinet should include ministers picked on skills, not political affiliation, seemingly endorsing a demand by a two-week-old protest movement for a technocratic government.
Michel Aoun’s speech came as Lebanese protesters tried to block reopened roads and prevent their unprecedented non-sectarian push for radical reform from petering out.
It followed the resignation of Prime Minister Saad Hariri’s government on Tuesday which had been met with cheers from crowds seeking the removal of a political class seen as corrupt, incompetent and sectarian.
“Ministers should be selected based on their qualifications and experience, not their political loyalties,” Aoun said in a televised speech on the third anniversary of his presidency, pledging also to combat corruption and enact serious reforms.
But his speech was met with disdain by demonstrators in central Beirut who, in response to his words, chanted the popular refrain of the 2011 Arab uprisings: ‘The people demand the fall of the regime.’
Nihmat Badreddine, an activist, said the president’s promises were “good in theory.”




Lebanese men watch a televised speech by Lebanon's president Michel Aoun. (AFP)

“But there is no mechanism for implementation... and there is no deadline” she said, expressing fears of a stalled process.
Sparked on Oct.17 by a proposed tax on free calls made through messaging apps such as WhatsApp, the protests have morphed into a cross-sectarian street mobilization against an entire political class that has remained largely unchanged since the end of the country’s 1975-1990 civil war.
Some schools have reopened this week and banks were due to reopen on Friday, as the protests piled more economic pressure on a country that has been sliding toward debt default in recent months.
Key members of the outgoing government, including the Shiite Hezbollah movement and the Christian president’s Free Patriotic Movement have warned repeatedly against the chaos a government resignation could cause.
“Lebanon is at a dangerous cross roads, especially with regards to the economy,” Aoun said on Thursday.
“So there is a dire need for a harmonious government that can be efficient without getting tangled in political disputes.”
Aoun has asked Hariri’s government to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new one can be formed, but Lebanon has entered a phase of acute political uncertainty, even by its own dysfunctional standards.
With a power-sharing system organized along communal and sectarian lines, the allocation of ministerial posts can typically take months, a delay Lebanon’s donors say the debt-saddled country can ill afford.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said it was “essential for Lebanon’s future that a new government be formed rapidly to carry out the reforms that the country needs.”
The new government would need to “address the legitimate aspirations expressed by Lebanese and take the decisions indispensable to the country’s economic recovery,” he said.
Consultations for the formation of a new government have not yet started, such is the rift between Hariri and his coalition rivals, according to a political source involved in discussions.
The source said that consultations are scheduled to begin on Monday.
Aoun was thought to be insisting on keeping his son-in-law Gebran Bassil, who is Lebanon’s foreign minister and one of the most reviled figures among protesters, in government.
But “a technocratic government is a possibility,” political analyst Amal Saad-Ghorayeb said.
“It would have to ensure a short-term stabilization of the economy, which has spiralled out of control these past weeks, while ensuring economic reforms pass quickly, otherwise mass protests will erupt once again,” she added.
The fall of the government under pressure from the street had led to an easing of the lockdown that has crippled the country of six million inhabitants.
While some life returned to Beirut and other cities this week, die-hard protesters were reluctant to lose one of the few forms of leverage they have to press demands that go far beyond the cabinet’s resignation.
“Giving up is out of the question,” said Tarek Badoun, 38, one of a group of demonstrators blocking the main flyover in central Beirut.
The mass mobilization, which has seen hundreds of thousands protest nationwide, has so far been largely bloodless, despite sporadic scuffles with counter-demonstrators from the established political parties.
“We have decided to stay on the streets because we don’t feel like the government is serious about speeding up the formation of a cabinet,” said Mohammad, 39, who was demonstrating near the northern city of Tripoli.

Earlier, Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc said Hariri's resignation would waste time available to enact reforms which are widely seen as necessary to steer Lebanon out of an economic crisis.
In a televised statement read by one of its MPs, the bloc said parliamentary consultations should take their “natural course” to start the process of forming a new government.
“The bloc called on the (central bank) to take all measures and steps that would lead to guaranteeing avoiding the monetary situation in the country spiraling out of control, especially at this delicate and difficult time,” it said.


Leaked audio of Assad forces shooting elderly women in Idlib proves civilian killings: Report

Updated 2 min 52 sec ago

Leaked audio of Assad forces shooting elderly women in Idlib proves civilian killings: Report

  • Syrian regime also attacked Turkish military posts in violation of cease-fire deal

LONDON: Syrian regime forces deliberately killed elderly women in the northwestern region of Idlib, leaked recordings obtained by the UK’s Daily Telegraph have shown.

The audio recordings from Feb. 11 also suggest that forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad attacked Turkish military posts in violation of a cease-fire deal.

The recordings captured a conversation between soldiers from the infamous elite Tiger Forces, the 25th Division, tracking a vehicle driving into the village of Mizanaz, to the west of Aleppo.

In the audio, intercepted by spotters at an observatory in the local area who picked up the soldiers’ frequency, one soldier can be heard saying: “There are women driving, their car is stuck in the mud and they’re headed to a battlefield.”

 

 

A second soldier said: “She looks elderly. It’s clear she’s coming to pack her belongings, then she’s leaving.”

Despite a clear identification of the women, one of the soldiers is heard saying: “I’m watching them. They’re about to enter a house. Yallah, I’m firing now.”

At that point, rapid machine gun fire can be heard on the tape. “Fire, fire, I’m observing for you,” the second soldier replies.

Local media reports from the time and date of the audio recording support the assertion that the women were killed in the attack.

Regime forces have used attacks on civilians as part of their strategy to clear rebel-held areas of the country, while attacking civilian institutions such as schools and hospitals. 

In September 2019, pro-Assad militants reportedly executed an elderly woman who refused to leave her home when it was confiscated after they recaptured the town of Khan Sheikhoun. 

According to figures from the Syrian Network for Human Rights, regime forces and their Russian allies are responsible for 90 percent of civilian deaths in the nine-year conflict, with three-quarters of those people victims of artillery or aerial shelling. The deliberate killing of non-combatants is a war crime under international law.

The Telegraph’s report also revealed recordings showing regime forces actively attacking Turkish posts in Idlib province that were set up as part of a de-escalation deal negotiated with Russia in 2018.

The attacks prompted Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday to urge his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin to “restrain” Assad’s advance in Idlib.