Missile attack on Yemen MP home kills two including child

Government soldiers and other people inspect the site of a Houthi missile attack on a military camp’s mosque in Marib, Yemen Jan. 20, 2020. (File/Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 23 January 2020

Missile attack on Yemen MP home kills two including child

  • The MPs daughter-in-law and granddaughter were killed
  • Griffiths condemned the attack and called for a halt to the recent military escalation

DUBAI: A rebel missile attack on the home of a Yemeni lawmaker killed two of his relatives, authorities said Thursday, drawing condemnation from the UN after a recent strike in the area left 116 dead.
Yemen’s internationally recognized government — backed by an Arab coalition — has been battling the Iran-allied rebels since 2014, when they overran the capital Sanaa.
The attack on Wednesday night targeted the home of parliamentarian Mossad Hussein Al-Sawadi in Marib province, east of the capital, killing his daughter-in-law and 16-year-old granddaughter, according to the official Saba news agency.
“Sawadi was seriously injured along with three other members (of his family),” said Hussein Al-Huleissi, director of the criminal investigation department in Marib.
“The strike destroyed the home completely and caused panic in the residential neighborhood.”
United Nations envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths condemned the attack and called for a halt to the recent military escalation in Yemen, which comes after several months of relative peace.
“Targeting MPs and civilian areas is unacceptable and against international law,” he said in a tweet.
The attack came after a missile strike blamed on the Iran-backed Houthi militia killed 116 people including civilians at a mosque in a military camp in Marib on Saturday.
On Thursday, authorities in Marib said they dismantled two Houthi-linked “cells” that took part in planning the strike.
The attack on the mosque, one of the bloodiest single incidents since the war erupted, came a day after coalition-backed government forces launched a large-scale operation against the Houthis in the Nihm region, north of Sanaa.
Army spokesman Abdullah Al-Shandaki told AFP on Tuesday that 72 Houthis had been killed in the fighting.
Saba said the fighting had continued into Thursday, and medical sources reported dozens of dead and wounded on both sides.
Meanwhile, heavy fighting between coalition-backed government troops and the Houthis broke out in the northern province of Jawf on Thursday.
Since 2015, tens of thousands of people have been killed and millions displaced in what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.


Yemen land mine kills six in convoy carrying defense minister, who is unharmed

Updated 33 min 59 sec ago

Yemen land mine kills six in convoy carrying defense minister, who is unharmed

  • He was visiting a frontline area of Sirwah
  • His convoy hit explosives buried in the road

ADEN: Six Yemeni soldiers were killed when a convoy carrying the country’s defense minister was hit by a land mine explosion on Wednesday, but the minister was unharmed, government sources said.
Muhammad Ali Maqdashi, defense minister for the internationally recognized government of Yemen, was visiting a frontline area of Sirwah. It is located west of the government-held city of Marib, and east of the capital Sanaa, controlled by the Houthi militia.
Six soldiers were killed and several others were wounded after the convoy hit explosives buried in the road, two government officials told Reuters.
Yemen has been mired in conflict since the Iran-aligned Houthis ousted the government of President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi from Sanaa in late 2014. An Arab coalition intervened in 2015 to restore Hadi.
Violence has flared along the front lines west of Marib city since mid-January when a blast hit a government military camp in Marib killing dozens of people.
Landmines have been extensively planted in many parts of Yemen during the conflict.