Tunisia arrests 5 over attack near US embassy

Police and forensic experts inspect the scene of an explosion near the US embassy in the Tunisian capital Tunis on March 6, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 March 2020

Tunisia arrests 5 over attack near US embassy

  • They were arrested on Saturday and are being held at a police station specializing in anti-terrorism investigations
  • Two assailants died in the attack, the first to hit the capital since June 2019

TUNIS: Five people have been arrested in Tunisia over a double suicide attack that killed a police officer near the US embassy in Tunis last week, the prosecution said Tuesday.
Two suicide bombers struck outside the embassy on Friday, wounding six other people and again shaking a city repeatedly hit by extremist violence.
The five detainees were arrested on Saturday and are being held at a police station in the capital’s El Gorjani district specializing in anti-terrorism investigations, spokesman Sofiene Sliti told AFP.
Tunisian media have reported that the two suicide bombers were men from Tunis who had served their sentences after being found guilty on terror charges in 2014.
The attack on Friday at midday rocked the Berges du Lac district hosting the highly fortified embassy, causing panic among pedestrians and motorists.
A video shared later on social media shows two men in sports clothes and with caps on their heads riding a scooter up to a police van then pausing for a few seconds before an explosion.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack and authorities have not announced any other advances in their investigations.
Tunisia has been hit by multiple extremist attacks since the 2011 uprising that toppled longtime dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
A string of deadly attacks in 2015 killed dozens of foreign tourists and security personnel.
An attack that year that killed 12 presidential guards prompted authorities to announce a state of emergency that has remained in place ever since.


Dubai ambulance service launches ‘Self Sanitization Walk’ to protect paramedics

Updated 26 min 57 sec ago

Dubai ambulance service launches ‘Self Sanitization Walk’ to protect paramedics

DUBAI: The Dubai Corporation for Ambulance Services has launched the first ‘Self Sanitization Walk’ as a safeguard against viruses that its paramedics may pass on to their colleagues and families.

The new device helps paramedics safeguard themselves from any infection that their clothes may catch during the course of working with confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19, WAM state news agency reported.

The ‘Self Sanitization Walk’ has been installed at the entrance of the accommodation facility of Dubai Ambulance’s field workers, along with thermal screening equipment.

The ‘Self Sanitization Walk’ sprays workers with a mist that disinfects clothes in less than 20 seconds. By detecting movements automatically, the device starts spraying only when a person passes through it, helping to save on energy. The device also has hand sanitizers.

“To ensure the safety of the community and the protection of frontline workers in the fight against COVID-19, we developed this innovative equipment, the first to be installed in the country. By efficiently sterilizing their clothes and shoes, the ‘Self Sanitization Walk’ allows paramedics and other staff to gain an additional level of protection,” Dubai Ambulance’s Executive Director Khalifa Aldrai said.

“The new device, developed in collaboration with SFFECO Global, enables health workers to perform their duties with a high level of safety.”

CAFU, the region’s first on-demand fuel delivery app, meanwhile said it will provide all ambulances operated by the Dubai Corporation for Ambulance Services with free fuel for a period of two weeks.

CAFU’s 180 trucks will deliver petrol on-demand to the corporation's fleet of ambulances that operate in over 100 locations across Dubai, bringing contactless fuel delivery to frontline health workers and eliminating the need for them to go to a petrol station.