Aramco unit gives $2m to help fight virus

Al-Buainain: This amount is to support our heroes in the health sector. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 03 April 2020

Aramco unit gives $2m to help fight virus

  • Aramco Trading Company donated to a health fund set up by the Saudi Ministry of Health

LONDON: A Saudi Aramco unit has given $2 million to aid the fight against the coronavirus.

Aramco Trading Company donated the money to the Health Endowment Fund established by the Kingdom’s Ministry of Health.

“It is important that during such tough times, Saudi corporations and individuals continue to demonstrate solidarity behind those fighting on the front lines to withstand this pandemic,” said Ibrahim Q. Al-Buainain, president and CEO of Aramco Trading.




Ibrahim Q. Al-Buainain, president and CEO of Aramco Trading. (Supplied)

“This amount is to support our heroes in the health sector who are working around the clock to ensure that our people and community are safe.”

He added: “Although this global pandemic is spreading rapidly as the days go by, we are confident that our government is taking unprecedented measures to minimize its impact on our nation.”

Despite the effect of the pandemic on the global energy sector, ATC has maintained uninterrupted operations through its offices in London, Singapore and the UAE.

On Thursday the Saudi health ministry said that deaths from the illness had risen to 21 while 1,885 infections were reported.

The Kingdom also said it was implementing a 24-hour curfew in the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah to curb the spread of coronavirus, the Saudi Press Agency reported.


Virus sees Booking.com slash quarter of global staff

Updated 04 August 2020

Virus sees Booking.com slash quarter of global staff

  • The company warned that “up to 25 percent” of employees could go in what it called an “extremely difficult step”
  • Booking.com’s Amsterdam headquarters was expected to be among the sites affected

THE HAGUE: Online travel agency Booking.com said Tuesday it will cut up to a quarter of staff worldwide due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, leading to thousands of job losses.
The Amsterdam-based booking site, which employs around 17,500 people around the world, declined to give an exact number of posts that will be slashed, saying details would become clearer “in the coming weeks and months.”
But it warned that “up to 25 percent” of employees could go in what it called an “extremely difficult step.”
“The Covid-19 crisis has devastated the travel industry, and we continue to feel the impact as travel volumes remain significantly reduced,” the company said in a statement sent to AFP.
“While we have done much to save as many jobs as possible, we believe we must restructure our organization to match our expectation of the future of travel,” it added.
Booking.com’s Amsterdam headquarters was expected to be among the sites affected, Dutch media reports added.
Hard-hit by the slowdown in international travel resulting from the lockdown, Booking.com follows in the footsteps of other digital travel sites such as Airbnb and TripAdviser, which have also laid off around 25 percent of their workforce.
Booking.com applied in April for state support.
Last month it received some 61 million euros ($71.8 million) from the Dutch state, making it the third-largest recipient of support behind flagship airline KLM and Dutch Rail (NS), the ANP national news agency reported.
Founded in 1996, Booking.com has some 28 million listings on its website which is available in 43 languages.