Abu Dhabi government urges public to report suspected coronavirus cases

Cars line up as people wait to enter a drive thru testing center for the coronavirus in Abu Dhabi on April 2, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 03 April 2020

Abu Dhabi government urges public to report suspected coronavirus cases

  • Public can contact Estijaba (Response) toll-free on 8001717 in case of a suspected coronavirus infection

DUBAI: Abu Dhabi health authorities have reiterated that only two hospitals in the emirate have been designated as facilities for handling coronavirus patients, and also advised residents to report suspected cases to them.

In collaboration with the Abu Dhabi Health Services Company (SEHA), Al Rahba Hospital and Al Ain Hospital have been allocated to the isolation and treatment of cases of COVID-19, state news agency WAM has reported.

Meanwhile, the public can contact Estijaba (Response) toll-free on 8001717, in case of a suspected coronavirus infection, or to approach one of the testing centers across the emirate including the mobile drive-thru testing facility in the Zayed Sports City.

The emirate also said that Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City, Cleveland Clinic in Abu Dhabi and Tawam Hospital in Al Ain were not dedicated to handling suspected cases of coronavirus, hence would neither receive suspected cases nor influenza patients.

In the meantime, the mobile drive-thru testing facility in the Zayed Sports City has conducted 2,934 tests since its opening until April 1st, Wednesday, ensuring all measures are in place to safeguard the health and safety of the community. It's open daily from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm every week-day.


Trump wrote to Assad about journalist missing in Syria, says Pompeo

In this file photo taken on December 04, 2018, Marc and Debra Tice, the parents of US journalist Austin Tice (portrait L), who was abducted in Syria more than six years ago, speak at a press conference in Beirut. (AFP)
Updated 15 August 2020

Trump wrote to Assad about journalist missing in Syria, says Pompeo

  • In 2018, US authorities announced a $1 million reward for information that would lead to his recovery

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump personally wrote to his Syrian counterpart Bashar Assad about the case of journalist Austin Tice, who has been missing since 2012, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday.
“The US government has repeatedly attempted to engage Syrian officials to seek Austin’s release,” Pompeo said in a statement on the eighth anniversary of Tice’s disappearance.
“President Trump wrote to Bashar Assad in March to propose direct dialogue.”
Tice was a freelance photojournalist working for Agence France-Presse, McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS and other news organizations when he disappeared after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on Aug. 14, 2012.
Thirty-one years old at the time he was captured, Tice appeared blindfolded in the custody of an unidentified group of armed men in a video a month later.
Since then, there has been no official information on whether he is alive or dead.
In March, Trump said the United States had written a letter to authorities in Damascus, without specifying that he himself had written personally to Assad, who Washington wants out of power. At that time, Trump said he did not know if Tice was still alive.

HIGHLIGHT

Tice was a freelance photojournalist working for Agence France-Presse, McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS and other news organizations when he disappeared after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on Aug. 14, 2012.

“No one should doubt the president’s commitment to bringing home all US citizens held hostage or wrongfully detained overseas,” Pompeo said Friday.
“Nowhere is that determination stronger than in Austin Tice’s case.”
Pompeo said he and Trump hoped there would be “no need for another statement like this a year from now.”
“Austin Tice’s release and return home are long, long overdue. We will do our utmost to achieve that goal,” he added.
A year ago, the US government said it believed Tice was still alive.
His mother Debra Tice said in January that she had “credible information” to that effect, without elaborating.
In 2018, US authorities announced a $1 million reward for information that would lead to his recovery.