JEDDAH: A field hospital has been set up in Makkah to combat the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in the area, as numbers continue to rise.
With a capacity of 100 beds, the aim is to provide assistance to help authorities quickly respond to cases as they appear.
Saudi Arabia has recorded 1,351 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number to 22,753 so far, of which 19,428 are active cases, with 123 in critical care. Around 17 percent of cases were Saudi nationals, and 83 percent were expats.
Health Ministry spokesman, Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly, announced 210 new recovered cases on Thursday, taking the total number of recoveries to 3,163, while 5 new deaths were been reported, raising the total to 162.
The latest losses were of two Saudis and 3 expats, with deaths reported in Riyadh and Jeddah.
Al-Aly mentioned that a little over 50 percent of all confirmed cases in the Kingdom were between the ages of 20-40.
Al-Aly reminded people to continue following precautionary measures to decrease the spread of the coronavirus and to practice hand hygiene, social distancing and wearing face masks.
He reiterated the importance of the proper way of wearing a mask and when it was necessary to wear it.
“With the increase number of cases around the globe and of confirmed cases (here) with the help of the mass field surveys and field trips, the ministry is keen on providing its citizens with the latest updates and information and precautionary measures. With the partial curfew being lifted, masks and homemade cloth masks must still be worn properly over the mouth and nose when leaving your home to slow the spread,” he said.
Al-Aly repeated that maintaining best practices to decrease likelihood of infection included keeping a social distance between people, washing hands, not touching one’s face and staying away from crowded places to improve chances of staying healthy.
Based on recent scientific developments, the spokesman said that some citizens repatriated to the Kingdom to housing facilities for the recommended quarantine period would be allowed to finish their stay at home after confirming they had shown no symptoms and receiving negative laboratory tests.
Al-Aly said that all citizens in quarantine were being closely monitored and were being provided with necessary care and follow-up.