ISLAMABAD: The imam and preacher of the Grand Mosque in Makkah, Sheikh Saleh bin Humaid, said on Friday that reducing gatherings in mosques was imperative to limit the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, and that Saudi Arabia was taking the greatest precautions to limit the assembly of worshippers in the interests of public health.
The kingdom announced earlier this week it was restricting the numbers of its annual Hajj pilgrims to roughly 1,000 Saudi residents-- a move hailed by the World Health Organization.
During his Friday sermon, Sheikh Saleh bin Humaid said Hajj season, which usually sees millions of Muslims flocking to Makkah from around the world, would be inaugurated by the state under “the most accurate procedures” in order to “preserve the security and safety of the pilgrims.”
“Reducing gatherings is the best solution,” he said.
Muslim majority Pakistan has been struggling with surging rates of the virus since certain lockdown measures were eased by the state in April, including assembly in mosques during and after Ramadan. Though strict health protocols were directed by the government, they have been near impossible to enforce in the near million mosques across the country due to a lack of resources and policing.
On the announcement of limiting Hajj numbers this year, Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah Mohammed Saleh Bentin earlier said the kingdom’s decision was based on the risks of the coronavirus spreading into crowded spaces and large gatherings-- all of which also comes amid a push to protect global health security.
These views were further emphasised by the imam this week, who said mosques must be kept safe for all who enter them-- from pilgrims to tourists-- in all ways, including health safety.










