Investigation sought into death of Korean triathlete who claimed abuse

Choi Suk-hyeon is shown in this picture posted on the website of the World Triathlon, which is seeking an inquiry into the South Korean triathlete's supposed suicide death. (Photo credit: World Triathlon)
Short Url
Updated 03 July 2020

Investigation sought into death of Korean triathlete who claimed abuse

  • Choi Suk-hyeon took her own life after enduring years of abuse, the World Triathlon claims

LAUSANNE, Switzerland: Triathlon’s governing body has joined an investigation into the death of a South Korean competitor who was reportedly subjected to years of physical and mental abuse.
“World Triathlon is deeply saddened and shocked to hear of the death of ... Choi Suk-hyeon who, according to media reports, ‘took her own life after enduring years of abuse,’” the body said in a statement on Thursday.
“The World Triathlon safeguarding and anti-harassment group has also contacted the Korean federation to make sure that while the investigation is carried out, all Korean triathletes are protected and safe.”
The body has asked the South Korean Triathlon Federation and the South Korean Sports and Olympic Committee to share information.
Choi, who was 22, died last Friday. She was first picked in the national team in 2015, while still in high school. Her last major race was in October, when she finished the South Korean championship in 14th place.
The Korea Herald said on Thursday that Choi’s family said she filed criminal complaints in February against her coach, doctor and teammates on the Gyeongju city team. The Daegu District Prosecutors’ Office was investigating her death and claims.
She gave the same report in April to the national federation and Olympic committee. The family said Choi was frustrated by the lack of action.
Federation president Park Suk-won said in a statement they were “taking this case very seriously.”
The Olympic committee said it sent an inspector in April to check Choi’s claims.
Five public petitions on the website of the South Korean president’s office to look into the cause of Choi’s death had drawn more than 58,000 signatures on Thursday in less than 24 hours.


Luis Suarez suspected of cheating on Italian exam

Updated 22 September 2020

Luis Suarez suspected of cheating on Italian exam

  • The Italian exam was a first step required in order to receive a passport ahead of a possible transfer to Juventus
  • Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo said a proposed deal for Suarez was unlikely to go ahead because of delays in the Uruguayan’s bid to get an Italian passport

ROME: Barcelona forward Luis Suarez is suspected of cheating to pass his Italian language test with the help of his teachers, the Perugia prosecutor’s department in charge of the investigation said on Tuesday.
The Italian exam was a first step required in order to receive a passport ahead of a possible transfer to Juventus.
“The investigation showed that the subjects discussed during the exam were agreed beforehand with the candidate and that the grade was awarded to him even before the test,” the prosecutor’s department said in a statement.
Local prosecutor Raffaele Cantone, a former head of Italy’s National Anti-Corruption Authority, had been carrying out an investigation since February into University for Foreigners officials over various irregularities. Suspicions over Suarez were aroused by an overheard conversation.
“But what do you think, that we’re going to fail him? Today I have the last lesson (with Suarez) and I have to prepare it because he barely speaks a word” of Italian, Stefania Spina, one of the people targeted by the investigation, is claimed to have said according to prosecution documents cited by Italian media.
Asked by a colleague what level Suarez “should pass” in Italian, Spina reportedly replied: “He should not, he must, he will pass, because with a salary of 10 million (euros) per season, you can’t make him fail” his exam, “even if he doesn’t know how to conjugate verbs and speak in the infinitive.”
Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo said last week a proposed deal for Suarez was unlikely to go ahead because of delays in the Uruguayan’s bid to get an Italian passport.
The Italian champions cannot recruit Suarez otherwise because they have already reached their quota for non-EU players.