JEDDAH: For the first time in more than five months, Saudi Arabia’s daily confirmed COVID-19 cases drop to below 500.
With the Kingdom’s national celebrations on Wednesday, the Ministry of Health’s spokesman, Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly, reminded residents to be vigilant, adding that “we didn’t take this decision to return carefully lightly. Countries that chose to resume (sectors) did so after conducting studies, research, and proofs all into consideration and strictly followed them,” he said in Sunday’s press conference.
“We witness the fruits of our labor today. All numbers indicate a huge improvement through everyone’s efforts,” he said.
Despite the low number of recorded cases, Al-Aly called for people not to resume activities and meetings without due care.
“We still see a number of people not abiding by the safety precautions. Though these numbers are limited, we do not want certain places to become an epicenter for the virus such as in some countries. We do not want to derail from our intended course.” He revised the safety precautions and added that people with any symptoms must quarantine themselves and decline any social invitation.
A total of 483 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in the Kingdom on Sunday, meaning 329,754 people in Saudi Arabia had now contracted the disease. There were 14,830 active cases, 1,138 of them critical.
Critical cases have also dropped by 12 percent, from recording 2,500 cases that have been decreasing to less than 1,200 today.
A total of 1,009 new recovered cases were announced, taking the total number of recoveries to 310,439 while 27 new deaths had been reported, raising the death toll to 4,485.