COVID-19 kills an entire Egyptian family after a wedding

Pharmacist Mohamed Al-Fangari and his family have died due to coronavirus. (Courtesy: Al-Hurra TV)
Short Url
Updated 24 September 2020

COVID-19 kills an entire Egyptian family after a wedding

  • Health Ministry says total number of recorded cases has reached 102,375

CAIRO: An Egyptian family died in Damietta governorate after contracting COVID-19 at a relative’s wedding.

The mother of the family returned home from her nephew’s wedding infected with the virus, and in turn infected her husband and two of her children before she died.

On August 26, pharmacist Mohamed Al-Fangari announced that his mother’s death was due to the coronavirus.

Ten days later, he revealed the death of his father, and three days later his brother also died from the virus.

After a few days, Al-Fangari announced that he, too, was infected.

Egyptian media later revealed that he died.

Before his death, Al-Fangari shared several posts on his Facebook page about his family’s infection with the virus, asking people not to bully COVID-19 patients.

“We are all confident in God’s ability, mercy and justice, and are satisfied with his judgment,” he said on his Facebook account. “From the beginning of the coronavirus crisis in February, I have not shied away from my responsibility in front of people, and I have not been negligent with knowledge, advice, or material or moral assistance,” he said.

“I swear we have been quarantined in our house since the beginning of March. The only time my mother went out was after the Eid for her nephew’s wedding. She got infected from one of her relatives there, and then the infection was transmitted to a large number of family members.”

His friends and the people of Damietta bade farewell to Al-Fangari by spreading condolences and prayers on social media.

The number of new daily coronavirus cases is falling Egypt, according to government statements.

On Wednesday, the Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population reported 121 new coronavirus cases and 16 deaths.

The ministry said the total number of recorded coronavirus cases had reached 102,375, with 91,843 recoveries and 5,822 deaths.


Turkey orders detention of 82 military personnel over suspected Gulen links -Anadolu

Updated 8 min 14 sec ago

Turkey orders detention of 82 military personnel over suspected Gulen links -Anadolu

ISTANBUL: Turkey ordered the detention of 82 military personnel in an operation targeting supporters of the Muslim preacher who Ankara says was behind a failed coup in 2016, state-owned Anadolu news agency said on Tuesday.
Operations targeting the network of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen have continued under a four-year-long crackdown since the attempted coup in July 2016. Gulen denies involvement in the putsch attempt, in which some 250 people were killed.
Tuesday’s operation was spread over 39 provinces and 63 people have already been detained, Anadolu said. Of the suspects, 70 were on active duty.
The detentions were ordered by the chief prosecutor in the western coastal province of Izmir, Anadolu said, adding that it also took steps to sack 848 military personnel, including high ranking officers, over links to the network.
Since the coup attempt, about 80,000 people have been held pending trial and some 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others have been sacked or suspended. More than 20,000 people had been expelled from the Turkish military alone.
Last week, a Turkish court sentenced leaders of the attempted coup to life in jail, convicting hundreds of army officers, pilots and civilians over the failed bid to topple President Tayyip Erdogan.