Saudi Arabia leads condemnation of Houthi missile attacks on Abu Dhabi, Kingdom

Saudi Arabia leads condemnation of Houthi missile attacks on Abu Dhabi, Kingdom
The UAE’s defense ministry said earlier that it had shot down two Houthi missiles targeting the country on Monday. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 January 2022

Saudi Arabia leads condemnation of Houthi missile attacks on Abu Dhabi, Kingdom

Saudi Arabia leads condemnation of Houthi missile attacks on Abu Dhabi, Kingdom
  • Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry said the Houthis had caused destruction and death in Yemen
  • GCC said continuation of Houthi attacks reflects their rejection of all efforts aimed at bringing peace to Yemen

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry condemned “repeated” Houthi attacks on civilians and vital facilities in the south of the Kingdom and Abu Dhabi.
The UAE’s defense ministry said it had shot down two Houthi missiles targeting Abu Dhabi on Monday with no casualties reported.

The ministry affirmed its “full readiness to deal with any threats,” adding that it will “take all necessary measures to protect the UAE from any attacks.”

The shootdown of the missiles was aided by “close UAE-US cooperation,” Emirati Ambassador to the US Yousef Al-Otaiba said.

Al-Otaiba added that the “next step is to shut off financial and arms flows from their backers,” and he renewed a call for US President Joe Biden's administration to restore the Houthis to the US list of foreign terrorist groups.

US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan met with Al-Otaiba and Saudi Ambassador to the United States Princess Reema bint Bandar to discuss ways to hold the Houthis accountable, a White House statement said.

Mr. Sullivan reiterated the US’ commitment to the security of both the UAE and Saudi Arabia, the statement added.

On Sunday, two residents in Saudi Arabia sustained minor injuries after the Houthis fired a ballistic missile that fell in the industrial area of Ahad Al-Masarihah, Jazan. Another missile was intercepted over Dhahran Al-Janub on Monday.

Shortly after, the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen said a ballistic missile launcher had been destroyed in the country’s Al-Jouf governorate.

The United States Central Command said US forces at Al-Dhafra Air Base in the UAE had engaged two Houthi missiles used to attack the Gulf country in the early morning hours of Monday alongside the Emirati armed forces.

“US forces at Al-Dhafra Air Base, near Abu Dhabi in the UAE, engaged two inbound missile threats with multiple Patriot interceptors coincident to efforts by the armed forces of the UAE in the early morning hours of Jan. 24, 2022,” it said.

The Kingdom's foreign ministry said it rejects all terrorist Houthi attacks on Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the international shipping corridors in the Red Sea.

It said that the Houthi militia continues to carry out terrorist acts with the aim of destabilizing the security and stability of the region, and is wreaking havoc in Yemen resulting in the deaths of Yemenis.
The ministry urged the UN Security Council and the international community to put an end to aggressive Houthi “behavior to maintain international peace and security.”

It added that the militia’s insistence on the repeated attacks is a challenge to the international community and “a clear violation of the rules of international humanitarian law.”

It also confirms the danger of Houthi behavior to the security and stability of the region, the ministry added.

The UAE also strongly condemned the “evil” Houthi attack on Abu Dhabi with two ballistic missiles, and stressed the incident would not go without response.

“The UAE reserves the right to respond to these terrorist attacks and this sinister criminal escalation,” the country’s foreign ministry said.

The Houthi militia continues its crimes unchecked in an effort to spread terrorism and chaos in the region to achieve its illegal aims and objectives, the ministry added.

It called on the international community to condemn and completely reject these terrorist acts that target civilians and civilian facilities.

The UAE’s foreign ministry also condemned and denounced the Houthi attack on Jazan.

The ministry said the attack is a dangerous escalation and a cowardly act that threatens the security, safety, and lives of civilians.

The ministry also reiterated the UAE's full solidarity with the Kingdom in the face of these terrorist attacks, and said the security of the country and that of the Kingdom is indivisible.

The Arab Interior Ministers Council issued a statement saying it was greatly saddened by the news of the attack, which reflects the militia’s continued aggressive approach and its goals aimed at threatening security, stability and peace in the Arab region, its blatant defiance of the international community, and its rejection of all endeavors and initiatives aimed at bringing peace to Yemen.

The Arab Parliament warned of the dangerous escalation in Houthi attacks against Saudi Arabia and the UAE, saying they posed a threat to the Arab national security system in general, and the Gulf in particular. It also called for the classifying the Houthis as a terrorist organization.

The Gulf Cooperation Council said the continuation of terrorist Houthi attacks reflects their blatant defiance of the international community, disregard for all international laws, and rejection of all efforts aimed at bringing peace to Yemen.

The US condemned the Houthi missile attack on the UAE and reaffirmed a policy of strengthening the defenses of the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

The Muslim World League called on the international community “to take a decisive stance against these terrorist crimes that exploit the Coalition in Yemen’s commitment to Islamic and humanitarian values and international laws and norms in the face of Houthi terrorism.”

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation condemned the persistent attacks targeting populated areas and affirmed its solidarity with the Kingdom and the UAE.

Bahrain strongly condemned the Houthi attacks and affirmed its support for Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and all measures taken by the countries to maintain security and stability, and ensure the safety of their citizens and residents.
Similarly, Kuwait condemned the attacks and stressed the need for an international stance against the militia.

Egypt expressed its “strong condemnation” of continued terrorist attacks by Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militia.

“The Houthi militia’s continuation of these cowardly attacks against the two countries is a clear threat to their security and stability, and the safety of their citizens and residents on their lands, in addition to a grave violation of the rules of international law,” said Egypt’s Foreign Ministry.

And Cairo reaffirmed its “full solidarity” with Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and its “support for all measures taken by the two brotherly countries to confront these cowardly terrorist attacks and preserve their security and stability.”

Jordan and Libya issued similar statements strongly condemning the attacks and expressing their full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

The US mission to Saudi Arabia strongly condemned Sunday’s Houthi attack on Jazan.

“We reiterate our commitment to the security of Saudi Arabia,” the mission said.

It also called on the Houthis to “cease immediately their attacks on civilians and to engage under UN auspices to find a political solution to the conflict.”

France’s foreign ministry and Hungary said they renews their support for Saudi Arabia and the UAE and condemned Houthi attacks on the countries.
Turkey’s foreign ministry said the attacks against both countries were a clear violation of international law.


Saudi crown prince, Greek PM discuss boosting joint cooperation

Saudi crown prince, Greek PM discuss boosting joint cooperation
Updated 27 May 2022

Saudi crown prince, Greek PM discuss boosting joint cooperation

Saudi crown prince, Greek PM discuss boosting joint cooperation

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman received a phone call on Thursday from Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, the Kingdom’s official SPA news agency reported.
During the call, they reviewed the bilateral relations between the two countries, and discussed opportunities for joint cooperation in a number of fields.


Saudi minister hails Saudi Arabia’s role in public health

Saudi minister hails Saudi Arabia’s role in public health
Updated 27 May 2022

Saudi minister hails Saudi Arabia’s role in public health

Saudi minister hails Saudi Arabia’s role in public health
  • Al-Jalajel said that the Kingdom is one of the first countries that, during its leadership of the G20, initiated the extraordinary summit to combine efforts and contain the pandemic

GENEVA: Saudi Health Minister Fahad Al-Jalajel has praised the contributions made by the Kingdom to support global public health.

His remarks came during a speech he delivered at the 75th session of the World Health Organization General Assembly in Geneva, where he headed the Kingdom’s delegation.

Al-Jalajel said that the Kingdom is one of the first countries that, during its leadership of the G20, initiated the extraordinary summit to combine efforts and contain the pandemic, which resulted in unprecedented global cooperation.

Al-Jalajel noted that the Kingdom contributed to the establishment of the WHO’s Access to COVID-19 Tools and COVAX Facility initiatives.

The Saudi minister further said that the total aid provided by the Kingdom through the initiatives and with direct support to developing countries amounted to approximately $770 million.

Al-Jalajel congratulated WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on his reelection for a second five-year term and the renewal of the international community’s confidence in his leadership. 


No entry to Makkah without permit for expats

No entry to Makkah without permit for expats
Updated 27 May 2022

No entry to Makkah without permit for expats

No entry to Makkah without permit for expats
  • Measure will maintain order and security around holy sites, experts say

MAKKAH: The General Directorate of Public Security has required expatriates wishing to enter Makkah for Hajj to obtain a permit from authorities starting Thursday.

For expatriates to enter the holy city, one of the following documents is required: An entry permit to work in the holy sites issued by the competent authority, a residency permit (iqama) issued from Makkah, an Umrah permit or a Hajj permit.

Brig. Gen. Sami Al-Shuwairekh, the spokesman for Public Security, said that the measure was in line with the regulations for the Hajj pilgrimage for this year.

“As per these instructions, only expatriates who obtain a permit for entry to Makkah will be allowed into the holy city from Thursday. They can obtain permits from the competent authorities. All vehicles and residents that do not have the required documents will be turned back,” Al-Shuwairekh said.

Ahmed Saleh Al-Halabi, who specializes in Hajj and Umrah services, told Arab News that the changes are a result of years of monitoring entry to the holy sites. Practical measures can safely organize the entry of residents to Makkah, he said.

“This is in order to eradicate all sorts of infiltration of the holy sites, especially for residents who do not hold permits, and who are on vacation from their work and head to Makkah to work, or stay with their relatives and friends, and then infiltrate the holy sites to perform the pilgrimage. And as a result, they stay on sidewalks and sleep there which would impact the environment and the level of public cleanliness,” he added.

Dr. Othman Qazzaz, head of the media research and studies department at the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute for Hajj and Umrah Research, told Arab News that the Kingdom is also making efforts to improve logistics services during Hajj, aiming to host a successful pilgrimage season.


Organization of Islamic Cooperation chief, US state secretary discuss bilateral ties

Organization of Islamic Cooperation chief, US state secretary discuss bilateral ties
Updated 26 May 2022

Organization of Islamic Cooperation chief, US state secretary discuss bilateral ties

Organization of Islamic Cooperation chief, US state secretary discuss bilateral ties
  • The two sides agreed on the importance of consolidating relations in various fields, in light of the challenges facing the world, foremost of which are the situations in the Middle East, Africa and Asia

WASHINGTON: During his official visit to the US, Secretary-General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation Hissein Brahim Taha met US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken at the headquarters of the State Department in Washington, DC.

During the meeting, the two sides discussed bilateral relations between the OIC and the US and ways to enhance them, as well as the outcome of the first round of the strategic dialogue between the OIC and the US held May 23-24 in Washington.

The two sides agreed on the importance of consolidating relations in various fields, in light of the challenges facing the world, foremost of which are the situations in the Middle East, Africa and Asia.

They also concurred on the importance of continuing consultations on various issues that top the agenda of the OIC and the US, foremost of which is the fight against terrorism, extremism and Islamophobia, and international efforts to combat COVID-19 and its health, economic and social implications.

Recently, the OIC has spoken of how highly it values the social, cultural and economic achievements of the African continent. The OIC indicated it will spare no effort directing its various development projects to serve Africa. 


Saudi Justice Ministry launches Case Preparation Center 

Saudi Justice Ministry launches Case Preparation Center 
Updated 26 May 2022

Saudi Justice Ministry launches Case Preparation Center 

Saudi Justice Ministry launches Case Preparation Center 
  • The center prepares claim files to improve output and increase efficiency

RIYADH: Saudi Justice Minister Walid bin Mohammed Al-Samaani on Thursday inaugurated the Case Preparation Center, which prepares claim files to improve output and increase efficiency.

“The center employs well-qualified staff who have the expertise and skills required for operation. This will result in a better experience for litigants through specific criteria and indicators,” the ministry said.

The center provides various services, including for example preliminary study of a claim, the management of notices, summarizing minutes and briefs and composing draft rulings, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

Osama Ghanem Al-Obaidy, adviser and professor of law at the Institute of Public Administration in Riyadh, told Arab News: “The launching of the Case Preparation Center is a good move towards improving case-related services provided by the Justice Ministry. This move will help raise the efficiency of court dockets and the review of cases in an expeditious manner and without unnecessary delay.”

He added: “The move will reduce the time spent in needless corrections and hearing delays due to cases and claims having insufficient, missing or inaccurate information or documentation.”