Muslims in Italy offer Zakat for Ukraine conflict

Muslims in Italy offer Zakat for Ukraine conflict
Ukrainian refugees wait to board a bus after crossing the Ukrainian border with Poland at the Medyka border crossing, southeastern Poland. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 April 2022

Muslims in Italy offer Zakat for Ukraine conflict

Muslims in Italy offer Zakat for Ukraine conflict
  • Initiative is “concrete token of solidarity with those suffering,” Moroccan representative tells Arab News
  • Archbishop of Bologna expresses “best wishes for Holy Ramadan to all our Muslim brothers”

ROME: Muslims in the Italian province of Pordenone have decided to donate Zakat — alms — this Ramadan to people most affected by the conflict in Ukraine.

Mustafa Nadif, a representative of the Moroccan community in the province, which has taken in refugees from Ukraine in recent weeks, told Arab News that the initiative aims to provide a “concrete token of solidarity with those who are suffering.”

He added: “Our solidarity and closeness goes out to all those suffering from wars or forgotten conflicts, especially during this holy period for Muslims worldwide.”  

Yassine Lafram, president of the Union of Islamic Communities of Italy, said after meeting the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Bologna Cardinal Matteo Zuppi: “The prayers of the Islamic community will be not only for Ukraine, but for all the forgotten wars of the world. We will pray for the people killed, wounded, for oppressed peoples deprived of their liberty.”

Zuppi, who is considered one of the most influential Catholic figures in terms of interreligious dialogue with Muslim communities in Italy, expressed his “best wishes for Holy Ramadan to all our Muslim brothers.”

He added: “May your fasting really be a sign of our participation in the suffering of our sisters and brothers who are overwhelmed by war, in Ukraine as well as in many parts of the world, in the so-called ‘forgotten wars’.”


Trial date set for man accused of threatening to kill Queen Elizabeth

Trial date set for man accused of threatening to kill Queen Elizabeth
Updated 11 sec ago

Trial date set for man accused of threatening to kill Queen Elizabeth

Trial date set for man accused of threatening to kill Queen Elizabeth
LONDON: A man accused of making a threat to kill the late Queen Elizabeth after being arrested at her Windsor Castle home on Christmas Day last year will go on trial next year, London’s Old Bailey Court heard on Wednesday.
Jaswant Singh Chail, 20, who has been charged under Britain’s Treason Act, is accused of making a threat to kill the 96-year-old monarch, possessing a loaded crossbow with intent to use it to injure the queen, and possession of an offensive weapon.
Elizabeth, who died last month, was at the castle on the day of the intrusion with her son and now King Charles and other close family members
Chail, who appeared at Wednesday’s hearing via videolink wearing a black hoodie, spoke only to confirm his name and his date of birth.
He was told the trial date was set to March 20 next and would last two to three weeks.
He did not enter a plea, the case was adjourned for further evidence to be obtained and Chail was detained in custody. The next hearing will take place at a date yet to be confirmed in December.

Myanmar junta leader not invited to ASEAN summit: Cambodia

Myanmar junta leader not invited to ASEAN summit: Cambodia
Updated 27 min 6 sec ago

Myanmar junta leader not invited to ASEAN summit: Cambodia

Myanmar junta leader not invited to ASEAN summit: Cambodia
  • ASEAN has led diplomatic efforts to resolve the turmoil that has gripped Myanmar since the military seized power last year

PHNOM PENH: Myanmar’s junta leader has not been invited to a regional summit next month, host Cambodia said Wednesday, in a fresh diplomatic snub for the isolated military regime.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has led diplomatic efforts to resolve the turmoil that has gripped Myanmar since the military seized power last year.
But there has been little progress on a “five-point consensus” agreed with the junta, and its leader and ministers have been shut out of recent meetings of the 10-member regional bloc.
Linking the invitation to “progress in the implementation of the Five-Point Consensus,” a Cambodian foreign ministry spokesman said the junta had been invited to “nominate a non-political representative for the upcoming ASEAN Summits.”
This means junta chief Min Aung Hlaing would not be allowed to attend, just as his top diplomat was barred from foreign ministers’ gatherings in Phnom Penh in February and August.
The five-point plan, agreed in April last year, calls for an immediate end to violence and dialogue between the military and the anti-coup movement.
There is growing dissatisfaction within ASEAN — sometimes criticized as a toothless talking shop — at the Myanmar generals’ stonewalling.
The junta’s execution of four prisoners in July, in defiance of widespread international calls for clemency, caused further anger.
August’s meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers ended with a rare condemnation from the bloc for the junta’s actions.
The ministers said they were “deeply disappointed by the limited progress in and lack of commitment of the Naypyidaw authorities to the timely and complete implementation of the five-point consensus.”
ASEAN’s own envoy tasked with brokering peace has admitted the scale of the task, saying “even Superman cannot solve” the crisis.
The regional bloc’s snub comes as Washington attempts to exert more pressure on the junta through the United Nations, following outrage over an air strike that killed 11 schoolchildren last month.
US State Department counsellor Derek Chollet held talks with other governments and with representatives of the self-declared National Unity Government — dominated by ousted civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s party — during the UN General Assembly earlier this month.
Myanmar is planning fresh elections in August next year, but Chollet warned there was “no chance” they could be free and fair.
The junta has justified its power grab pointing to alleged fraud in the 2020 elections, which Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party won easily.
A military crackdown on dissent in the wake of the coup has left more than 2,300 civilians dead, according to a local monitoring group.
The junta, meanwhile, says the uprising against its rule has left almost 3,900 of its supporters dead.


IAEA head Rafael Grossi may visit Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant again

IAEA head Rafael Grossi may visit Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant again
Updated 05 October 2022

IAEA head Rafael Grossi may visit Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant again

IAEA head Rafael Grossi may visit Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant again
  • Rafael Grossi would continue discussing the creation of a ‘safety zone’ around the facility

MOSCOW: International Atomic Energy Agency head Rafael Grossi said on Wednesday that he may visit Ukraine’s Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant again, Russian state-owned news agency TASS reported.
TASS reported Grossi, who headed an IAEA delegation to the plant last month, as saying that he would continue discussing the creation of a “safety zone” around the facility.


Ethiopian government accepts African Union invitation to peace talks

Ethiopian government accepts African Union invitation to peace talks
Updated 05 October 2022

Ethiopian government accepts African Union invitation to peace talks

Ethiopian government accepts African Union invitation to peace talks
  • Senior official: African Union invitation consistent with the ‘need to have talks without preconditions’

NAIROBI: The Ethiopian government on Wednesday accepted an invitation by the African Union to hold peace talks in South Africa this weekend with rival Tigray forces, the national security adviser said.
Redwan Hussein, the national security adviser to Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, said on Twitter that the AU invitation was consistent with the “need to have talks without preconditions.”


Indonesian president Joko Widodo to order stadium audit to find ‘root’ of disaster

Indonesian president Joko Widodo to order stadium audit to find ‘root’ of disaster
Updated 05 October 2022

Indonesian president Joko Widodo to order stadium audit to find ‘root’ of disaster

Indonesian president Joko Widodo to order stadium audit to find ‘root’ of disaster
  • Joko Widodo: ‘I will order the public works minister to audit all stadiums used for the (football) league’

MALANG, Indonesia: Indonesian President Joko Widodo said Wednesday that he would order an audit of all football stadiums, vowing to find the “root” cause of one of the deadliest disasters in the sport’s history.
“I want to know the root of the problem that caused this tragedy so that we can get the best solution. I will order the public works minister to audit all stadiums used for the (football) league,” he said outside a hospital during a visit to the city where a stadium stampede killed at least 131 people Saturday.
Widodo said that football’s world governing body FIFA may help address management of the sport in Indonesia, having discussed the issue with FIFA President Gianni Infantino after the deadly stampede.