RIYADH: Saudi Arabia on Tuesday “strongly” condemned the terrorist attack in Burkina Faso’s Seytenga city killing dozens of people, the Saudi Press Agency said, citing a foreign ministry statement.
The ministry reiterated the Kingdom’s position rejecting all forms of violence, extremism, and terrorism.
It also extended condolences to the families of the victims and the government and people of Burkina Faso.
Soldiers in Burkina Faso have recovered 79 bodies so far after an attack in the northern Seno province over the weekend, the government said on Tuesday, as new details of the assault emerged.At least 100 people were killed, and possibly as many as 165, in the attack, security and local sources have told Reuters. It was the deadliest attack in at least a year in the West African country.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Unidentified assailants first attacked a military police post in Seytenga, a department of Seno province, on Thursday evening, killing 11 gendarmes, the army said on Friday. It said that gendarmes fought back but were outnumbered.
Three security sources told Reuters on Tuesday that the military police then withdrew to the regional capital, Dori, to regroup, leaving no one at the security post when armed men returned two days later and slaughtered dozens of civilians.