England’s Sterling to return to Qatar

England’s Sterling to return to Qatar
England's Raheem Sterling celebrates after scoring past Iran's goalkeeper during Qatar World Cup Group B match. AFP
Short Url
Updated 08 December 2022

England’s Sterling to return to Qatar

England’s Sterling to return to Qatar
  • The Chelsea forward temporarily left to attend to a family matter but is now expected to rejoin the squad

DOHA: England forward Raheem Sterling is to return to the World Cup in Qatar on Friday after spending time in England following a robbery at his home, England’s Football Association said on Thursday.
“Raheem Sterling will return to England’s World Cup base in Qatar. The Chelsea forward temporarily left to attend to a family matter but is now expected to rejoin the squad in Al Wakrah on Friday ahead of the quarter-final with France,” the FA said in a statement.
Sterling did not feature in England’s squad for the 3-0 win against Senegal with Phil Foden and Bukayo Saka playing either side of striker Harry Kane.
It would be a surprise should Sterling be picked to start against France although his return does increase manager Gareth Southgate’s options from the bench.
British media reports had said that Sterling’s home was broken into by armed intruders while his family were in the property on Saturday night.
However, Surrey Police later said that no-one was at home at the time of the burglary and no threats of violence were involved.
The police said the house’s occupants were away on an ‘international trip’ and discovered on their return that a number of items of jewelry, including watches, had been stolen.
Southgate had been supportive of Sterling’s decision to leave the camp and return to England.
“At the moment clearly the priority is for him to be with his family. We’re going to support that and leave him to have as much time as he needs,” he had said.
Sterling has been a key player for England during Southgate’s six years in charge.
The 28-year-old has 20 goals in 81 caps for his country, including one at the 2022 World Cup in a 6-2 victory over Iran.


Piquet fined for racist comments about Hamilton

Piquet fined for racist comments about Hamilton
Updated 8 sec ago

Piquet fined for racist comments about Hamilton

Piquet fined for racist comments about Hamilton
  • The 70-year-old Brazilian had referred to seven-time champion Hamilton as “neguinho,” a racially offensive term which means “little Black guy,” in 2021
  • In their complaint, the human rights groups said that Piquet violated the norm of human dignity enshrined in the country’s constitution

RIO DE JANEIRO: Retired Formula One champion Nelson Piquet has been ordered by a Brazilian court to pay $950,000 in “moral damages” for making racist comments about Lewis Hamilton.
The 70-year-old Brazilian had referred to seven-time champion Hamilton as “neguinho,” a racially offensive term which means “little Black guy,” in 2021. In another interview, Piquet used racist and offensive language.
The court in Brasilia on Friday ordered Piquet to pay 5 million Brazilian reals “in collective moral damages, to be allocated to funds for the promotion of racial equality and against discrimination of the pride community.”
The charges were filed by several human rights groups.
In their complaint, the human rights groups said that Piquet violated the norm of human dignity enshrined in the country’s constitution. The judge said Piquet’s comments corresponded to the definition of racial discrimination outlined in Brazil’s 2010 Statute of Racial Equality.
Hamilton had condemned “archaic mindsets,” and the Mercedes driver said he had been “surrounded by these attitudes and targeted (my) whole life.” He is the only Black driver in F1 and received honorary citizenship from Brazil last year.
Piquet, who won three F1 titles in the 1980s, was discussing a crash between Hamilton and Red Bull driver Max Verstappen that took place during the British Grand Prix in 2021. His daughter Kelly Piquet is Verstappen’s girlfriend.
Piquet later apologized in a statement for the “ill thought out” racial term but said it “is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend.”
In his decision, judge Pedro Matos de Arruda said “subtlety is one of the characteristics of contemporary Brazilian racism” and that the word is “not an affectionate nickname.”
Piquet had used racist language in the other interview when discussing Hamilton missing out on a previous championship.
The retired driver has the right to appeal the ruling.
Piquet had angered some F1 fans for his support of former far-right President Jair Bolsonaro. He donated about $95,000 to Bolsonaro’s failed re-election bid.


Ushba Tesoro wins Dubai World Cup for Japan

Ushba Tesoro produced a remarkable run to come from the back of the field under jockey Yuga Kawada and win the Dubai World Cup
Ushba Tesoro produced a remarkable run to come from the back of the field under jockey Yuga Kawada and win the Dubai World Cup
Updated 49 min 1 sec ago

Ushba Tesoro wins Dubai World Cup for Japan

Ushba Tesoro produced a remarkable run to come from the back of the field under jockey Yuga Kawada and win the Dubai World Cup
  • 6-year-old Ushba Tesoro, who had won five of his six starts since being switched to the dirt, ran down Doyle’s mount to win

DUBAI: Ushba Tesoro produced a remarkable run to come from the back of the field under jockey Yuga Kawada and win the $12 million Dubai World Cup for Japan on Saturday.
“I’m very proud of my horse and myself for winning the greatest race in the world,” Kawada said.
Bendoog looked comfortable under Christophe Soumillon with Saudi Cup winner Panthalassa, who had been drawn wide, in company early on in the 10-furlong (2,000-meter) showpiece.
When they turned for home, James Doyle aboard the Simon and Ed Crisford-trained Algiers looked the likely winner and went a length clear with 1 1/2 furlongs left.
But the 6-year-old Ushba Tesoro, who had won five of his six starts since being switched to the dirt, ran down Doyle’s mount to win going away by 2 3/4 lengths. It was Japan’s second success in the race, following Victoire Pisa in 2011.
“I thought he would be in with a chance at the 100-meter mark," winning trainer Noboru Takagi said.
DETTORI HAT TRICK
Lord North and Frankie Dettori completed a hat trick in the Dubai Turf race when holding off the late challenge of Danon Beluga in another pulsating renewal of the Grade One contest.
The John and Thady Gosden-trained 7-year-old had dead-heated with Panthalassa in this nine-furlong contest last year, having first won it in 2021.
“It’s my farewell season and to win this on a horse that has done three years in a row is fantastic," Dettori said.


UAE team defeat Brazil to triumph at Jiu-Jitsu Championship

UAE team defeat Brazil to triumph at Jiu-Jitsu Championship
Updated 25 March 2023

UAE team defeat Brazil to triumph at Jiu-Jitsu Championship

UAE team defeat Brazil to triumph at Jiu-Jitsu Championship
  • Winners bag 12 gold, 11 silver, 11 bronze medals at tournament
  • Dubai Sports Council, Jiu-Jitsu Federation co-organized the NAS Sports Tournament under the theme ‘Limitless Abilities’

DUBAI: The UAE team emerged as winners at the Jiu-Jitsu Championship at the 10th Nad Al Sheba Sports Tournament 2023, the Emirates News Agency reported on Saturday.
The Emirati team amassed 827 points to give them top spot in the countries’ rankings, ahead of Brazil, and Kazakhstan.
The UAE athletes clinched 12 gold, 11 silver and 11 bronze medals.
The Dubai Sports Council and the UAE’s Jiu-Jitsu Federation co-organized the NAS Sports Tournament under the theme “Limitless Abilities.”
The Emirati team showed exceptional skill, technique, and physical prowess throughout the tournament, showcasing their ability in every fight.
The event drew athletes from various clubs and academies, who competed in juvenile, adult, and masters’ divisions in both men’s and women’s sections.
Al-Ain Jiu-Jitsu Club emerged as winners in the club category. The Emirati outfit dominated the competition, winning 17 medals including six golds across several categories.
Baniyas finished second after clinching 16 medals, with Sharjah Self-Defense Club finishing third after collecting 12 medals in different categories.
Alongside the UAE, Brazil and Kazakhstan, other participating countries included the Philippines, Tajikistan, Iran, France, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Egypt, Iraq, Morocco, Russia, Uzbekistan, Syria, Jordan, the US, Peru, Azerbaijan, Lebanon, and others.


Tuchel ready for tough start at Bayern after surprise move

Tuchel ready for tough start at Bayern after surprise move
Updated 25 March 2023

Tuchel ready for tough start at Bayern after surprise move

Tuchel ready for tough start at Bayern after surprise move
  • Tuchel goes straight into crucial games, starting with German title rival — and Tuchel’s former club — Borussia Dortmund on April 1
  • Ten days later, Bayern play Manchester City in the quarterfinals of the Champions League

MUNICH: New Bayern Munich coach Thomas Tuchel acknowledged Saturday he faces a challenging start to his new job after his surprise hiring Friday to replace Julian Nagelsmann.
Tuchel goes straight into crucial games, starting with German title rival — and Tuchel’s former club — Borussia Dortmund on April 1.
“The challenge can’t be any greater,” Tuchel said.
Ten days later, Bayern play Manchester City in the quarterfinals of the Champions League.
There will be little time to rest or practice new tactics, with many Bayern players currently away with their national teams and then seven games in the first 22 days of April.
“I was relatively naive in the first conversation (with Bayern). In the first 30 seconds I didn’t know what we were discussing or what it was about,” Tuchel said.
Once it became clear Bayern wanted him to take charge immediately, “it occurred to me that it actually begins right away with Dortmund with an international break beforehand.”
Bayern against Dortmund is “the” game in German soccer, he added.
Tuchel said the move came as a surprise and that as recently as Tuesday he had no contact with Bayern. He imagined his next job would be outside of Germany, he added, but that he had been following Bayern’s season with interest.
Tuchel hasn’t worked in Germany since 2017. When he left, the only major trophy he’d won was the German Cup with Dortmund. He returns having won two French titles at Paris Saint-Germain and the Champions League and Club World Cup with Chelsea.
Bayern can still win three titles this season — the Bundesliga, the German Cup and the Champions League.
Consistency is a concern after Bayern chief executive Oliver Kahn highlighted that as a reason for getting rid of Nagelsmann.
Bayern are likely to be looking for Tuchel to get the best out of players like Leroy Sané and Serge Gnabry, whose form has dropped off this season, and Sadio Mané, who has rarely been at his best in an injury-disrupted season since joining from Liverpool.
Sporting director Hasan Salihamidžić said the club backed Nagelsmann as concerns grew over the team’s performance but decided on a change at a meeting Monday, a day after a loss to Bayer Leverkusen cost Bayern the Bundesliga lead.
“When you see that this curve of performance is going down, you’re forced to react,” he said, asked if Bayern had reacted to the possibility Tuchel might take a job elsewhere. “Fortunately, there was a top option on the market and it happened quickly.”


Qatar’s Al Thani submits new $6 bln bid for Manchester United — Sky News​

Qatar’s Al Thani submits new $6 bln bid for Manchester United — Sky News​
Updated 25 March 2023

Qatar’s Al Thani submits new $6 bln bid for Manchester United — Sky News​

Qatar’s Al Thani submits new $6 bln bid for Manchester United — Sky News​

Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani has submitted a new bid to buy Manchester United which is believed to be worth around 5 billion pounds ($6.12 billion), Sky News reported on Saturday.
Sheikh Jassim, a son of Qatar’s former prime minister, launched the bid in February. A spokesperson representing Sheikh Jassim said at the time that the bid was completely debt free, via Sheikh Jassim’s Nine Two Foundation.
Finnish entrepreneur Thomas Zilliacus also placed a bid on Thursday and told Reuters that he was willing to pay a premium for the English soccer club.
United’s current owners, the Glazer family, began looking at options for the record 20-times English champions in November, including new investment or a potential sale, 17 years after they bought the Old Trafford club.
Manchester United did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

($1 = 0.8177 pounds)