UN officials visit Israeli-attacked West Bank Jenin refugee camp

UN officials visit Israeli-attacked West Bank Jenin refugee camp
Damage to a house in the Jenin Refugee Camp from the Israeli military operation between July 3-5. (UNRWA)
Short Url
Updated 12 July 2023
Follow

UN officials visit Israeli-attacked West Bank Jenin refugee camp

UN officials visit Israeli-attacked West Bank Jenin refugee camp
  • "I saw the trauma in the eyes of camp residents who had witnessed the violence" official said

LONDON: Senior officials from the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees have visited the northern West Bank’s Jenin refugee camp in the wake of a recent deadly Israeli offensive there.

The two-day Israeli military operation, the most devastating in more than 20 years, left at least 12 people dead, including four children, and 140 injured. Approximately 900 homes were damaged, with many becoming uninhabitable.

UNRWA’s Deputy Commissioner General Leni Stenseth said: “The destruction I saw was shocking. Some houses were completely burned down, cars had been crushed against walls, roads were damaged.

“But more than the physical damage, I saw the trauma in the eyes of camp residents who had witnessed the violence. I heard them speak about their exhaustion and fear,” she added.

The UNRWA health center at the camp was so severely damaged it was no longer operational. Slight damage was caused to four of the agency’s schools in the camp, but while some students had returned to class, attendance remained low with several parents claiming their children were frightened to leave home.

Adam Bouloukos, director of UNRWA affairs in the West Bank, said: “Children were shaken and shocked. Far from all students attended school today, as many of them were too afraid to leave their homes.

“In one classroom we visited, students shared with us that just 10 days ago, they had buried a classmate who was killed in an earlier incursion.

“It is very hard for children to walk to school as the main roads are still unusable. When trying to find alternative ways to school, some younger children lost their way. We truly feared for their safety due to the risks of unexploded ordnance.

“A priority now is to provide mental and psychosocial support to help children cope with their fear and anxiety,” he added.

The Jenin camp, home to around 24,000 people, has witnessed extreme violence over the last two years, with this year being especially volatile.

Bouloukos said: “The camp is now partially without access to electricity and water. Nearly eight kilometers of water piping and three kilometers of sewage lines were destroyed due to the use of heavy machinery that ripped up large sections of the roads.

“I commend the local and municipal authorities in and around Jenin camp for their hard work to clean up and help the communities resume normal life. They have done an exceptional job. UNRWA will continue to support them over the coming days and weeks,” he added.

UNRWA officials said their priority now was to help restore a sense of normalcy by resuming services including education, health, and sanitation. Another urgent priority was to provide economic support to families who had fled their homes to help them with rent and house rehabilitation.

Stenseth said: “We went to Jenin camp with our partners to show solidarity with residents and reassure them that they are not alone.

“UNRWA is calling on its donors and partners to immediately make funds available for our humanitarian response in Jenin camp.”
 


Thousands gather in Iran in show of support for attack on Israel

Iranian demonstrators attend an anti-Israeli gathering in front of the British Embassy in Tehran, Iran, April 14, 2024. (REUTERS
Iranian demonstrators attend an anti-Israeli gathering in front of the British Embassy in Tehran, Iran, April 14, 2024. (REUTERS
Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Thousands gather in Iran in show of support for attack on Israel

Iranian demonstrators attend an anti-Israeli gathering in front of the British Embassy in Tehran, Iran, April 14, 2024. (REUTERS
  • Israel has killed more than 33,686 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry
  • Iran does not recognize Israel, and the two countries have fought a shadow war for years

TEHRAN: Thousands of Iranians took to the streets of Iran early Sunday in a show of support for the unprecedented drone and missile attack under way against arch foe Israel.
“Death to Israel!” and “Death to America!” chanted demonstrators in Tehran’s Palestine Square shortly after the Revolutionary Guards announced the launch of Operation Honest Promise.
A mural saying “the next slap is fiercer” was unveiled in the square where a huge banner has hung for days calling, in Hebrew, for Israelis to “take shelter.”
On Sunday, demonstrators waved Iranian and Palestinian national flags alongside banners reading “God’s victory is near.”
Iran’s attack came in retaliation for an April 1 strike that levelled the five-story consular annexe of the Iranian embassy in Damascus and killed seven Revolutionary Guards, two of them generals.
Tehran has since vowed to avenge the strike which was widely blamed on Israel.
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei pledged that the “evil (Israeli) regime will be punished.”

Iranian media described the attack on Israel as “complex” as it also involved Iranian allies in Yemen, Lebanon and Iraq.
“This attack did not come from Iran only, and this regime (Israel) is being punished from four directions,” the Tasnim news agency said.
A large crowd of demonstrators gathered outside the British embassy in Tehran.
Supporters of the retaliatory attack also demonstrated in Iran’s third largest city Isfahan where Brig. Gen. Mohammad Reza Zahedi, one of the generals killed in the Damascus strike, is buried.
Demonstrators also gathered near the grave in the southern city of Kerman of prominent Guards commander Qasem Soleimani, who was killed in a 2020 US drone strike in Baghdad.
Tehran had earlier appealed to Washington to keep out of its conflict with Israel but Iranian hopes were dashed after a Pentagon official confirmed that US forces were shooting down Israel-bound drones.
Iran insists it acted in “self-defense” after the targeting of its diplomatic mission in Damascus. It said it hoped its action would prompt no further escalation and “the matter can be deemed concluded.”

The latest developments took place against the backdrop of the Gaza war which began with Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel which killed 1,170 people, mostly civilians.
Tehran backs Hamas but has denied any direct involvement in its attack on Israel.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive against Hamas has killed at least 33,686 people in Gaza, mostly women and children, according to the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry.
Iran does not recognize Israel, and the two countries have fought a shadow war for years.
Anticipation of conflict with Israel had gripped Iran ever since the April 1 strike on its consulate.
“It is better to reach a compromise so that the war does not begin, and innocent people don’t die,” said Maryam, a 43-year-old private sector worker.
“God willing, our government will favor reason over emotion,” said Salehi, a 75-year-old retired government employee in central Tehran.
Ehsan, a 43-year-old university professor, said it was “logical” to retaliate.
“War is always bad and worrying — a person who has experienced war would never support it, but sometimes to achieve peace, a war is necessary,” he added.
 

 


UN Security Council to meet on Sunday to discuss Iran attacks on Israel

UN Security Council to meet on Sunday to discuss Iran attacks on Israel
Updated 4 min 3 sec ago
Follow

UN Security Council to meet on Sunday to discuss Iran attacks on Israel

UN Security Council to meet on Sunday to discuss Iran attacks on Israel
  • Israel requested the meeting, urging council to condemn Iran and designate IRGC as a terror organization
  • Iran blamed its retaliatory attack on the council’s failure to condemn Israel’s strike on its Damascus consulate

NEW YORK: The UN Security Council is set to hold an emergency meeting on Sunday afternoon in New York to discuss Iran’s attack on Israel, the Maltese presidency of the council has announced.

Iran has on Saturday launched dozens of drones and missiles at Israel in a retaliatory attack after an Israeli strike on the Iranian consulate in Damascus which killed seven revolutionary guards, including two generals. Iran had warned that Israel would be "punished" for the strike, which took place on April 1st.

The Security council meeting was requested by Israel’s permanent representative to the UN to “unequivocally condemn Iran for these grave violations and immediately act to designate the IRGC as a terrorist organization.”

In a letter to the Maltese ambassador, whose country holds the rotating presidency of the council for the month of April, Gilad Erdan called the attack “a severe and dangerous escalation” adding that the gravity and volume of the attacks are unprecedented, and are a flagrant violation of Israel’s sovereignty, of international law, and of Security council resolution.

“Iran poses a direct threat to international peace, and brazenly violates the UN charter and security council resolutions. The time has come for the security council to take concrete action against the Iranian threat.”

Iran’s permanent mission to the UN had posted on X that “had the UN Security Council condemned the Zionist regime’s reprehensible act of aggression on our diplomatic premises in Damascus and subsequently brought to justice its perpetrators, the imperative for Iran to punish this rogue regime might have been obviated.”

The mission described Saturday’s attacks as “an invocation of Article 51 of the UN Charter.”

It said the retaliatory attacks occurred following a 13-day period marked by the Security Council’s “inaction and silence, coupled with its failure to condemn the Israeli regime’s aggressions. Certain countries’ precipitous condemnation of Iran’s exercise of its legitimate right suggests a reversal of roles, equating the victim with the criminal.”

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned “the serious escalation represented by the large-scale attack launched on Israel by the Islamic Republic of Iran this evening,” and called for an immediate cessation of such hostilities. He said neither the region nor the world can afford another war.

“I am deeply alarmed about the very real danger of a devastating region-wide escalation,” said the UN chief in a statement as he urged “all parties to exercise maximum restraint to avoid any action that could lead to major military confrontations on multiple fronts in the Middle East.”

 
"I have repeatedly stressed that neither the region nor the world can afford another war," he added.

 


Egypt air defenses on maximum alert: media

Egypt air defenses on maximum alert: media
Updated 14 April 2024
Follow

Egypt air defenses on maximum alert: media

Egypt air defenses on maximum alert: media
  • The Egyptian foregn ministry said it was “deeply concerned” by the events, and called for “maximum restraint” by all sides

CAIRO: Egypt’s air defenses were on “maximum alert” Sunday after Iran launched a drone and missile attack on Israel, a TV channel close to the intelligence services reported, as Cairo warned against an escalation of the conflict.
“A crisis cell ... is closely monitoring the situation and submitting reports to President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi hour by hour,” Al-Qahera News said late Saturday, citing a senior security official.
The Egyptian foregn ministry said it was “deeply concerned” by the events, and called for “maximum restraint” by all sides.
Warning of the risk of a “regional expansion of the conflict,” the ministry said in a statement that it was “in direct contact with all the parties to the conflict to try to contain the situation.”
Since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October, Cairo has sought to walk a delicate tightrope between showing solidarity with the Palestinians while also maintaining its ties with Israel.
It has also hosted several rounds of negotiations seeking to agree a truce in the six-month war.


Iran and Israel: From allies to deadly enemies

Iran and Israel: From allies to deadly enemies
Updated 14 April 2024
Follow

Iran and Israel: From allies to deadly enemies

Iran and Israel: From allies to deadly enemies
  • Israel has killed more than 33,600 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry

PARIS: Israel and Iran have moved from once being firm allies to sworn enemies.
Here is a recap of their volatile relationship over the past half century.

Israel, following its creation in 1948, had close ties with Iran, which becomes the second Muslim country to recognize the Jewish state after Turkiye.
They become allies under the shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. At the time, Iran was home to the biggest Jewish community in the Middle East.
The new Jewish state imported 40 percent of its oil from Iran in exchange for weapons, technology and agricultural produce.
Israel’s Mossad spy agency helped train the shah’s feared Savak secret police.

The 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran toppled the shah, dramatically ending the friendship between the two states.
Israel did not recognize the new Islamic Republic.
The ayatollahs considered Israel illegal occupiers of Jerusalem. Informal commercial links remained in place, however.
Islamic Jihad became the first Islamist Palestinian organization to take up arms against Israel in 1980, with Iran as its main backer.
Nonetheless, Israel sent Tehran around 1,500 missiles to help it fight Saddam Hussein during the Iran-Iraq war that raged from 1980 to 1988.

Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982 to counter Palestinian groups based there, going all the way to briefly hold the capital Beirut.
Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps subsequently backed the creation of militant group Hezbollah, which waged a campaign against Israeli forces from Shiite strongholds in southern Lebanon.
Israel blamed Hezbollah for attacks abroad, including in Argentina, where the 1992 bombing of the Israeli embassy killed 29 people and a 1994 attack on a Jewish community center left 85 dead.

Tensions rose after the election in 2005 of ultra conservative Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who talked on several occasions of bringing an end to Israel and described the Holocaust as a “myth.”
Iran resumed uranium enrichment at Isfahan the same year.
When the Iran nuclear deal was brokered by world powers in 2015, Netanyahu slammed it as an “historic mistake.”
He was the first to congratulate then-US president Donald Trump when he withdrew the United States from the deal in 2018.
Iran has since resumed uranium enrichment.

Officially still at war with Syria, Israel claimed to want to stay out of the civil war that broke out in 2011 and still simmers.
But from 2013 on, Israel — wary of Hezbollah and Iran’s presence on the side of Syrian President Bashar Assad — carried out hundreds of air strikes against them in Syria.

Israel began cultivating ties with long-time foe Saudi Arabia, Iran’s main religious and regional rival.
In September 2020 Saudi allies the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain signed normalization accords with Israel.
The Unites States sought Israel-Saudi rapprochement, but the efforts were derailed by the Gaza War.

Over the following months Israel accused Iran of attacks on vessels. Iran accused Israel of targeted assassinations and the sabotage of the uranium enrichment plant at Natanz.
Israel was blamed for targeted attacks on Iranians in Syria, including top members of the Revolutionary Guard in 2022 and 2023.
An Israeli airstrike on Iran’s consular annex building in Damascus on April 1, 2024 killed more than a dozen people — including two senior members of the Revolutionary Guards.
US President Joe Biden warned that Iran was “threatening to launch a significant attack on Israel,” promising Israel “ironclad” support.
On April 13 — two weeks after the unprecedented attack on its consular facilities — Iran responded by sending waves of drones from its territory toward Israel, which closed its airspace, as did Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel’s air defense systems were deployed and that it was prepared for a “direct attack from Iran.”

 


Israel puts Golan, Nevatim, Dimona, Eilat residents on impact standby

Israel puts Golan, Nevatim, Dimona, Eilat residents on impact standby
Updated 14 April 2024
Follow

Israel puts Golan, Nevatim, Dimona, Eilat residents on impact standby

Israel puts Golan, Nevatim, Dimona, Eilat residents on impact standby
  • Israel has a nuclear reactor on the outskirts of Dimona

JERUSALEM: Israel’s military put the northern part of the occupied Golan Heights as well as Nevatim, Dimona and Eilat on standby for possible impact from Iranian drone launches early on Sunday, instructing residents to stay close to bomb shelters.
The Golan was captured from Syria in a 1967 war. Nevatim is the site of an Israeli air base. Israel has a nuclear reactor on the outskirts of Dimona. Eilat is Israel’s southern Red Sea port, which has come under repeated attack by Yemen’s Houthis.

Meanwhile, the Israeli army said it sounded sirens in a kibbutz near the Lebanon border early Sunday, after Iran launched a drone and missile attack on Israel.
"Sirens sounded in Kibbutz Snir, northern Israel," the army said in a statement.