Qatar labor camp blaze toll hits 13

Qatar labor camp blaze toll hits 13
Laundry is seen hung out to dry outside an accommodation for migrant workers in Labor City, Qatar, in this January 13, 2016 photo. (REUTERS)
Updated 09 June 2016

Qatar labor camp blaze toll hits 13

Qatar labor camp blaze toll hits 13

DOHA: The death toll from a fire at a Qatari labor camp last week has risen to 13 after two more victims succumbed to their injuries, a medical official said Tuesday.
“The total number (dead) is now 13,” the official at Doha’s Hamad General Hospital, who did not wish to be named, told AFP.
The Interior Ministry previously reported 11 people had died in the blaze, which broke out at a camp for laborers working on a waterfront tourism project in southwestern Qatar.
It is believed the latest two victims from Wednesday’s fire were among the 12 people the ministry also said were being treated for injuries at Hamad hospital.
The medical official said the pair died on Sunday.
The identity of the victims — and their nationality — has not been made public.
Authorities have said an investigation is being carried out to determine the cause of the blaze.
The tragedy is thought to be one of the worst fires in recent times in Qatar, since a 2012 blaze at the Villagio shopping mall killed 19, including 13 children.