Biased reporting: Indian media flayed

Biased reporting: Indian media flayed
Updated 03 August 2016

Biased reporting: Indian media flayed

Biased reporting: Indian media flayed

RIYADH: The Indian community in the Kingdom on Tuesday slammed irresponsible reporting by the Indian media on labor issues between an ailing private firm and its Indian employees.
They said these are some isolated cases. About three million Indians are working and living happily in Saudi Arabia, they pointed out.
They expressed sincere thanks to the Saudi government for hosting such a huge number of non-resident Indians (NRIs), which not only constitute the largest expatriate group in the Kingdom but also the largest number of Indian passport holders living anywhere in the world.
They thanked the Kingdom for ensuring the safety and welfare of the Indian community.
Akhtar-ul-Islam Siddiqui, a long-time Indian resident and a businessman, told Arab News that a few construction companies in the Kingdom have gone out of business due to financial constraints and it resulted in layoffs for workers of different nationalities, not only just Indians. “I do not know why there is hue and cry in the Indian media over this.”
He said: “Private firms in India like Kingfisher, Sahara and many others went bankrupt and their workers lost jobs. Has the Indian government given them jobs? Forget about helping the workers, Kingfisher owner Vijay Mallya ran away from the country to evade loans repayment and the government failed to catch him.”
Abdulhaq Bastavi, an Indian IT expert, said there is no point reporting that Indians are starving or stranded here as they can solve the issue with the employer and go home. “In labor disputes, workers have the option of approaching the courts.”
Mojib Siddiqui, who is working with a media group here for years, said: “There are serious issues of atrocities against poor Muslims and Dalits, which need to be reported extensively to curb growing intolerance. Instead, the Indian media is planting stories on labor issues here in a deliberate attempt to shift the focus from the government, which is under fire for not stopping violence against these communities. It’s a ploy to appease the principal minority that they are concerned about Indian Muslims working in Saudi Arabia.”
He added: “If the situation had been alarming for Indian workers, how come remittances sent by NRIs from the Kingdom is highest?”
If the government is really concerned about Indian Muslims and Dalits, it must put the act together to stop anti-social elements going on rampage in the name of cow protection, said Saquib Hamza, a Dammam resident working at a recruitment firm.
Mohammad Akram, a marketing head at the Saffat Aviation said the Indian media exaggerating the number to blow it out of proportion.
“Laying off workers by an ailing firm is nothing new,” he said adding there are dozens of Indian firms firing their staff for financial reasons.


Saudi authorities ready to receive travelers as travel ban ends

Saudi authorities ready to receive travelers as travel ban ends
Updated 20 min 5 sec ago

Saudi authorities ready to receive travelers as travel ban ends

Saudi authorities ready to receive travelers as travel ban ends
  • Saudia airlines says it completed preparations to operate flights to 71 destinations from 95 airports
  • Interior ministry said a ban on travel to countries where the virus is not under control still stands

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s passport authority on Sunday said it was ready to operate international flights at full capacity at the Kingdom’s land border crossings, sea and air ports, as a travel ban is set to end on Monday.
The Ministry of Interior announced that citizens would be permitted to travel and all ports would reopen as of 1 a.m.
The General Directorate of Passports said those wishing to travel outside the Kingdom are required to follow the instructions issued by the interior ministry depending on what category they fall into.
The categories include those who have received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, those who received one dose at least two weeks prior to travel, those recovering from the virus within six months from the date of travel, and citizens under 18-years-old provided they present a travel insurance policy approved by the Saudi Central Bank (SAMA), covering the risks of COVID-19 outside the Kingdom before travel.
Saudi Arabian Airlines said it has completed preparations to operate flights to 71 destinations from 95 airports, including 28 domestic and 43 international destinations.
The airline said since the beginning of the pandemic, it has operated more than 100,000 flights and transported more than 10 million passengers.
Its fleet is regularly sterilized using UVC disinfection systems and all crew have been vaccinated.
The General Authority of Civil Aviation said that around 385 flights are expected to operate throughout the Kingdom’s airports on Monday.
Meanwhile, the interior ministry said travel to a number of countries, directly or via another country, is still banned without prior permission.
In January, the ministry banned travel to Libya, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, Iran, Turkey, Armenia, Somalia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Belarus, and India were the outbreak is till not under control or were the mutated strain is being spread.


Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister discusses Palestine with US Secretary of State Blinken

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister discusses Palestine with US Secretary of State Blinken
Updated 36 min 18 sec ago

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister discusses Palestine with US Secretary of State Blinken

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister discusses Palestine with US Secretary of State Blinken
  • They reviewed strategic bilateral relations and ways to enhance them in all fields
  • The two ministers also discussed developments in Palestine and the region

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan has discussed Israel’s bombing of Gaza with US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken, the Kingdom’s foreign ministry said on Sunday.
During the phone call, the two ministers reviewed the strategic relations between their two countries and ways to enhance them in all fields.
They also discussed the most prominent developments, foremost of which are developments in Palestine and the region.


Saudi Arabia condemns Afghan mosque bombing during Eid Al-Fitr

Saudi Arabia condemns Afghan mosque bombing during Eid Al-Fitr
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudi Arabia condemns Afghan mosque bombing during Eid Al-Fitr

Saudi Arabia condemns Afghan mosque bombing during Eid Al-Fitr
  • A bomb ripped through a mosque in northern Kabul during Friday prayers killing 12 worshippers
  • Saudi foreign minister receives call from his Afghan counterpart

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia on Sunday said it condemns and denounces an explosion inside a mosque on the outskirts of the Afghan capital Kabul that killed at least 12 people and wounded 15.
Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack in Shakar Dara district, as worshippers gathered for Friday prayers on the second day of the Eid Al-Fitr holiday.
The attack also occurred during a three-day cease-fire for the Muslim holiday declared by the Taliban.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Kingdom stands in solidarity with Afghanistan in combating violence, extremism and terrorism, adding that it rejects “these criminal acts that are inconsistent with all religious principles and moral and human values.”
The ministry offered condolences to the families of the deceased and the Afghan government and people, and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
Also on Sunday, Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan received a phone call from his Afghan counterpart Mohammad Hanif Atmar.
During the call, they reviewed relations between their two countries, and opportunities to develop them in various fields.
They also discussed a number of regional issues, developments in Palestine, and other international developments.


Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases

Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases

Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases
  • The Kingdom said 1,028 patients recovered in past 24 hours
  • 13 mosques temporarily closed after 13 people tested positive for coronavirus

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia recorded 15 new COVID-19 related deaths on Sunday, raising the total number of fatalities to 7,162.
The Ministry of Health confirmed 825 new confirmed cases reported in the Kingdom in the previous 24 hours, meaning 433,094 people have now contracted the disease. 
Of the total number of cases, 8,145 remain active and 1,376 in critical condition.
According to the ministry, the highest number of cases were recorded in the capital Riyadh with 263, followed by Makkah with 231, the Eastern Province with 98, Madinah recorded 62 and Asir confirmed 56 cases.
The health ministry also announced that 1,028 patients had recovered from COVID-19, bringing the total number of recoveries in the Kingdom to 417,787.

The Ministry of Interior recorded 22,442 violations against coronavirus preventative measures across the Kingdom from May 9 to 15, with the highest reported in Riyadh with 8,202, followed by Makkah with 3,734, the Eastern Province with 3,504, and Qassim with 1,737. 
The ministry renewed its call on the public to register to receive the vaccine, and adhere to the measures and abide by instructions.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Islamic Affairs temporary closed 13 mosques in five regions after 13 people tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of mosques closed to 1,201 within 99 days, 1,175 of which have reopened after being sterilized.
The coronavirus pandemic has affected over 163 million people globally and the death toll has reached around 3.38 million.


Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain

Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain

Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain
  • Travel suspension for citizens, and the opening of land, sea and air ports would be lifted starting Sunday
  • A coronavirus insurance certificate is required for travelers below 18 years

DUBAI: Hundreds of thousands of daily travelers between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain through the King Fahd Causeway may once again access the border crossing when travel restrictions are lifted on Monday, May 17.
Residents shuttle between the two countries via King Fahd Causeway, but the travel artery was closed on March 8, 2020, because of COVID-19 safety precautions.
Travel suspension for citizens, and the opening of land, sea and air ports would be lifted starting Sunday, state news agency SPA reported.
An additional 10 lanes were installed to the departure area, bringing the total to 27 lanes, in addition to 36 lanes in the arrival area, Duwaihi Al-Sahli, director of King Fahd Causeway Passports, was quoted by the report as saying.
However, only those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 or those who have recovered from the disease would be allowed to leave the Kingdom, authorities. They would be required to present proof via the Tawakkalna app installed in their mobile phones.
A coronavirus insurance certificate is required for travelers below 18 years.
For travelers heading from Bahrain to Saudi Arabia, they will be required to carry any of the health applications approved in the GCC countries, which confirm whether they are vaccinated or have recovered from the virus, Bahrain’s news agency BNA reported.
They can also present PCR certificates which should not exceed 72 hours from the time of taking the sample, BNA added.
Jordan meanwhile said that exemptions previously announced for passengers’ entry through the Omari border post with Saudi Arabia have been canceled effective on Monday.
The decision was made after a series of measures were taken recently to help ease the entry of Jordanians and visitors from Saudi Arabia and other Arab Gulf countries, state news agency Petra reported, citing Interior Minister Mazen Al-Faraya.
Border regulations previously required the presentation of a certificate proving they received two coronavirus vaccine doses and a negative PCR test 72 hours prior.
Travelers can now pass without registering on the platform or having a PCR test on the border, the report said.