Taiwanese protest killing by Philippine forces

Updated 13 May 2013

Taiwanese protest killing by Philippine forces

TAIPEI, Taiwan: About 200 Taiwanese protested outside the Philippine representative office in Taipei on Monday against the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by the Philippine coast guard in disputed waters.
Burning Philippine flags and waving banners with messages such as “You can’t kill our people, you can’t insult our country,” the demonstrators demanded that Manila apologize for the incident last Thursday in the Bashi Strait in which Philippine coast guard personnel opened fire on a Taiwanese fishing vessel, killing Hung Shih-cheng, 65. The strait is between Taiwan and the northern Philippines.
With more than 75 police officers in attendance, Monday’s demonstration was peaceful.
President Ma Ying-jeou has given the Philippines until Tuesday to apologize for the incident and provide compensation to the dead man’s family. If the Philippines refuses, Ma has said he will order Taiwanese representatives in Manila back to Taipei and deny Filipinos permission to work in Taiwan.
Approximately 87,000 Filipinos are employed on the island, many in the manufacturing sector, where their English-language skills are seen as a boon to the island’s export-oriented high-tech industries.
The Philippine coast guard has admitted it fired the shots that killed the Taiwanese fisherman, but said it acted in self-defense because the Taiwanese vessel was about to ram its ship.
China has sought to make common cause with Taiwan against Manila, deploring the shooting in harsh rhetoric that threatened to spark another diplomatic tussle between Beijing and the Philippines, a key US ally.
Taiwan and China split during a civil war in 1949 and Beijing continues to claim the island as part of its territory. In recent months it has made repeated attempts to bring Taiwan onto its side in its maritime disputes with Japan and other countries in the region. Taiwan has so far resisted, reflecting its own claims of national sovereignty.
On Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei reiterated China’s condemnation of the Philippine coast guard action.
“The spokesmen for the Foreign Ministry and the Taiwan Affairs Office both expressed strong indignation about the Philippines’ killing the fisherman last week,” he said. “We urged the Philippines to investigate the case thoroughly and furnish the details.”
In a related development, Chinese state media reported Monday that naval ships from the country’s East Sea Fleet, which began training drills in the Western Pacific last week, are now planning to sail through the Bashi Strait on their return. The reports did not say when that would be.


Trump to host next year's G7 summit at his Florida golf resort, White House says

Updated 14 min 16 sec ago

Trump to host next year's G7 summit at his Florida golf resort, White House says

  • Mulvaney told reporters the summit would take place at Doral on 2020, and that the administration selected Trump's resort
  • "Doral was by far and away the best physical facility for this meeting," he said at a news briefing

WASHINGTON: U.S. President Donald Trump will host next year's Group of Seven economic summit of developed world leaders at one of his own properties, the Trump National Doral golf resort near Miami, a White House official said on Thursday.
White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said Trump would not profit from use of the property and defended the decision, which comes as the president faces ongoing criticism and congressional investigations over his finances and potential conflicts-of-interest.
Mulvaney told reporters the summit would take place at Doral on June 10-12, 2020, and that the administration selected Trump's resort after initially looking at about 12 potential locations in various other U.S. states.
"Doral was by far and away the best physical facility for this meeting," he said at a news briefing. "It's almost like they built this facility to host this event."
Mulvaney said the event would be "at cost" and that using the Trump site would save millions of dollars and was cheaper than the other potential sites.
Trump has repeatedly attacked Joe Biden, a leading Democratic presidential candidate and former vice-president, over his son's business ties in Ukraine and China, which Trump has repeatedly called corrupt, without evidence.
Asked how the president's use of his private business properties to host official government events differed from Trump's allegations against the Bidens, Mulvaney told reporters there would be no profit and said the family had made their money before Trump became president in January 2017.
Trump has said he is not involved with the day-to-day operations of his private company and that his sons run the business.