11,000 return to Sudan from KSA

Updated 01 December 2013
0

11,000 return to Sudan from KSA

More than 11,000 Sudanese workers have returned voluntarily from Saudi Arabia after an amnesty for foreign employees to legalize their status, official media said Saturday.
"The number of Sudanese that have voluntarily returned from Saudi Arabia has reached 11,678 as the amnesty for people working in the country without proper permits expired on Nov. 3", the state SUNA news agency reported, quoting Khalid Fath Al-Rahman, deputy head of Sudan's Embassy in Riyadh.
Saudi Arabia said last week that it had deported more than 71,118 illegal foreign workers since the amnesty ended and that more would follow.
Nearly a million migrants from various countries took advantage of the amnesty to leave voluntarily.
Another four million were able to find employers to sponsor them, a legal requirement in the Kingdom as in several other Gulf states.
One Sudanese was killed on November 13 in clashes between Saudis and illegal migrants in the Riyadh neighborhood of Manfuhah, police said at the time.
SUNA reported that 26 Sudanese were arrested in Riyadh and 43 in Eastern Province.
"They were released to correct their residency situations," the report said, adding there were 500,000 Sudanese in the Kingdom.
Sudanese Labor Ministry figures show that Saudi Arabia is the largest recipient of a mounting number of migrants from the economically troubled country.
In total, more than 94,000 workers left Sudan last year, compared with about 10,000 in 2008, Agence France Presse said, citing a Labor Ministry study.
Sudan's overall unemployment rate was an estimated 18.8 percent in 2011, but almost double that figure for young people, according to data cited by the United Nations Development Program.


Saudi Arabia to UN: Aramco strikes were ‘organized terrorist attack’

Updated 19 September 2019

Saudi Arabia to UN: Aramco strikes were ‘organized terrorist attack’

  • The letters stated that “all indications are that the weapons used in the Aramco attack are Iranian”
  • Saudi Arabia said it will take measures to respond to the attacks in accordance with international law

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said that Saturday’s strikes on two Aramco facilities were an “organized terrorist attack” in a letter to the UN Security Council.
The Saudi Mission to the United Nations sent a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and another to the President of the Security Council Russia’s Permanent Representative to the UN Vasily Nebenzya and members of the Security Council on Wednesday.
The letters stated that “all indications are that the weapons used in the Aramco attack are Iranian.”
They also explained that Saudi Arabia will take measures to respond to the attacks in accordance with international law, and called on the UN and international experts to participate in the investigation into the attack.