Ban on Peace TV will be lifted soon: Zakir Naik

Updated 06 July 2014

Ban on Peace TV will be lifted soon: Zakir Naik

The Muslim scholar of international repute, Zakir Naik, hoped the Indian government would soon lift ban on his Peace TV.
Naik heads the Islamic Research Foundation that owns Peace TV. The channel has a substantial viewership in the Middle East and African countries and which operates from Dubai.
The Indian government's Intelligence Bureau had red-flagged Peace TV among 24 foreign channels for allegedly broadcasting anti-India programs "not conducive to the security environment in the country.”
Naik rejected the accusations as unfounded and said a stay order was granted by the Supreme Court during the tenure of India's former Chief Justice Altamas Kabir. The order was later revoked by his successor. However, he expressed hope of a "positive decision soon."
He said Peace TV programs were often considered to have a political agenda, which was unjustified.
Naik told Arab News here at a sahoor party hosted by Rashid Ali Sheikh, an Indian businessman and social worker, that Peace TV was a major Islamic satellite television network with a global viewership of more than 100 million and broadcast in English, Urdu and Bengali languages.
Sheikh also hoped that Peace TV would be able to clear its name. He said Naik's speeches, especially when he criticizes Western powers for their interference in Muslim countries, are taken out of context to label him as a supporter of extremism.
The Indian Express, India’s one of the top daily newspapers, recently ranked Naik as the country's 89th most powerful person, ahead of Nobel Laureate economist Amartya Sen and former Attorney General Soli J. Sorabjee.
Peace TV has many speakers and presenters including those from Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, and its Arabic channel is expected to go on air soon.
The reception function was attended by many prominent expats from the Indian community.


Saudi Arabia announces 34 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 13 August 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 34 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 260,393
  • A total of 3,303 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 34 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,482 new cases of the disease on Thursday.
Of the new cases, 86 were recorded in the capital Riyadh, 77 in Jeddah, 63 in Hail and 60 in Hufof.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 260,393 after 3,124 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 3,303 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.