Djibouti, Eritrea in territorial dispute

Ismael Omar Geulleh, President of Djibouti speaks at a Ministerial Summit on the situation in the Horn of Africa during the 66th United Nations General Assembly at UN Headquarters, in this Sept. 24, 2011 file photo. (AP)
Updated 17 June 2017

Djibouti, Eritrea in territorial dispute

ADDIS ABABA: Djibouti accused neighboring Eritrea on Friday of occupying disputed territory along their border after Qatar withdrew its peacekeepers.
Foreign Minister Mahamoud Ali Youssouf said Djibouti’s military was “on alert” and that it had lodged complaints with the UN and the African Union.
The UN Security Council is due to discuss the situation behind closed doors on Monday, diplomats said.
Moussa Faki Mahamat, chairperson of the African Union Commission (AUC), later posted on Twitter: “I told Djibouti’s Ambassador Idris Farah the AUC will send a delegation to Djibouti border to monitor developments, work with all parties.”
Qatar said it was pulling its contingent out on June 14, days after the two East African countries sided with Saudi Arabia and its allies in their standoff with Qatar.
“Qatari peacekeepers withdrew on June 12 and 13. On the same day, there were Eritrean military movements on the mountain,” Ali Youssouf told Reuters. “They are now in full control of Dumeira Mountain and Dumeira Island. This is in breach of the UN Security Council resolution,” he added, referring to areas that the neighbors dispute.
Authorities in Asmara were not immediately available for comment.
Djibouti, a close Western ally, hosts French and US military bases and is the main route to the sea for Eritrea’s arch foe and Washington’s top regional ally, Ethiopia.
Eritrea has fractious ties with the West, which had previously accused it of backing Somali and other regional insurgents. Asmara denies the charges.


Trump says next G7 summit won't be at his Miami golf resort

This file photo taken on April 03, 2018 shows a view of the entrance of Trump National Doral in Miami, Florida. (AFP)
Updated 41 min 59 sec ago

Trump says next G7 summit won't be at his Miami golf resort

  • Trump cited what he termed “Crazed and Irrational Hostility” from Democrats and the news media in explaining the reversal

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump late Saturday abandoned plans to host next year’s Group of Seven economic summit of leaders of developed nations at his Florida golf resort, after Democrats and others decried the decision as evidence of the president misusing his office for personal gain.
In a series of tweets, Trump said he would drop the plan announced Thursday by White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney. Trump cited what he termed “Crazed and Irrational Hostility” from Democrats and the news media in explaining the reversal. “We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately,” he wrote.