Anti-racism regulation draft on top of Saudi Shoura agendas

Updated 26 August 2017

Anti-racism regulation draft on top of Saudi Shoura agendas

JEDDAH: The Shoura Council’s Islamic and Judicial Affairs Committee has studied the anti-racism draft regulation and is ready to submit to the Committee Affairs General Department soon, according to Abdul Aziz Issa, the head of the committee.
In a press conference, Issa said the committee was keen on putting the anti-racism draft regulation on top of the upcoming seventh session agenda.
It is therefore necessary to take into account the opinion of specialists with regards to the draft regulation’s articles.
He said: “After performing an in-depth study of the draft regulation in all its aspects, the committee, in its report, called upon the council to examine this regulation that, if adopted, could consolidate national stability and social security.”
The idea of the draft resolution, he said, emerged from a basic law according to which consolidating national unity is a duty and that the state shall forbid all activities that may lead to disorder, division, or partition.
In mid-August, the Office of the Public Prosecutor stated that it would take legal action against every individual who sows the seeds of hatred, sectarianism or ideological and religious-based discrimination, and those who attempt to mislead the public opinion to justice, based on its general mandate that allows it to undertake criminal proceedings against any criminal.
Shaikh Saud Al-Mujab, the Saudi public prosecutor said: “The Public Prosecution will immediately take legal action against any content that shall harm society, regardless of its used material, pretexts, or means of publication, whether media, social media, lectures, speeches, or books, inter alia, by virtue of its mandate, laws and regulations.”
Al Mujab stressed that the word is a powerful weapon. This is why the Public Prosecution will take the necessary measures whenever the freedom of expression is violated.


Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. (SPA)
Updated 04 August 2020

Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

  • COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to fall, officials say

JEDDAH: Pilgrims who took part in this year’s Hajj must continue wearing electronic tags so authorities can track their 14-day quarantine once they return home.

The bracelet is designed to monitor pilgrims’ adherence to quarantine, as well as monitoring and recording their health status through the “Tatamman” app.
Pilgrims were required to quarantine before embarking on the Hajj and wore the bracelets to ensure they were obeying the self-isolation rules as part of strict measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The country continues to experience a decline in COVID-19 cases. Recorded infections remain below the 2,000 mark for the 10th day in a row. The Kingdom reported 1,258 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, raising the number of those infected to 280,093 so far.
There are currently 35,091 active cases and six patients were admitted to critical care units, raising the number to 2,017. There were 32 new fatalities, raising the death toll to 2,949.
There were 1,972 new recoveries recorded, raising the total number of recoveries to 242,053.
More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. The total number of PCR tests conducted to date exceeds 3.47 million.

INNUMBERS

280,093 COVID-19 cases

242,053 Recoveries

35,091 Active cases

2,949 Total deaths

3.47m PCR tests

The Ministry of Health has been carrying out daily visits to health institutions in order to assess their level of commitment to anti-coronavirus measures, such as ensuring that staff adhere to social distancing, wear masks, and adopt the health practices and crisis management mechanisms recommended by authorities to protect patients and staff.
Teams have been dispatched to supervise the compliance of health facilities’ quarantine centers across Saudi Arabia and stepped up their visits to government and private hospitals to ensure their compliance with health protocols, sample transfers and staff testing as well as ensuring that all routine surgeries are stopped.
More than 5,000 violations have been recorded and violators were referred to committees. More than 150 facilities were temporarily shut down by the ministry until the proper protocols were implemented and the violations were fixed. A number of institutions were able to resume operations after settling fines.