Saudi Interior Ministry: 7,500 residency and labor law violators arrested in one day

Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Turki (4th from right) and other officials announce the crackdown on residency violators during a press briefing on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017. (SPA)
Updated 17 November 2017

Saudi Interior Ministry: 7,500 residency and labor law violators arrested in one day

JEDDAH: Some 7,500 violators of residency and labor laws have been arrested on the first day after the grace period ended.
According to the Interior Ministry’s spokesman, Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, the campaign not only targeted those who had no residence permits but also those whose residency documents had expired.
“The concerned authorities started chasing the violators of residency and labor laws on Thursday, Al-Turki said. “It also focused on Saudis who hire illegal residents.” Al-Turki said that the grace period had lasted for eight months, and was extended more than once after some embassies called for extra time for their nationals to correct their situations based on certain agreements and conditions.
Al-Turki said that the ministry did not look at violators as criminals but asked them to get exit visas immediately and leave the country as soon as possible.
The ministry had worked with different authorities to make the campaign a success. “We are ready and we will not stop until we make sure that our goal has been achieved,” the spokesman said.
He added that the law did not make a distinction between Saudis and expats. “The campaign targets violators of labor and residency laws whether they are Saudis or foreigners. All Saudis and legal residents are required to abide by the country’s labor and residency regulations and rules,” he said.
Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, spokesman for the General Directorate of Passports, said that his departments were working around the clock to enforce the campaign.
Col. Sami Al-Shuwairikh, representing Public Security, said that some 7,500 violators had been caught. He said that Saudi nationals and legal residents have been asked to report violators by calling 911 in the Makkah region and 999 in other parts of the Kingdom.
Khalid Aba Al-Khail, spokesman for the Ministry of Labor and Social Development, said the campaign was a national task that would have many positive effects for the country.
“We have some 800 inspectors whose job is to scrutinize markets and make sure that all workers are officially permitted.” Labor law violators were being taken into custody every day, he said.
Border Guards spokesman Col. Sahir Al-Harbi said they had foiled more than 21,000 attempts to illegally enter the Kingdom. He said that 872 residency violators had tried to leave the country illegally.


Saudi health minister promises to procure tested vaccine

Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah. (AP)
Updated 20 October 2020

Saudi health minister promises to procure tested vaccine

  • COVID-19 cases continue to decline in Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Saudi Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah on Monday said the Kingdom will procure vaccine for the novel coronavirus once it is confirmed to be safe and effective.

He said research on the vaccine is underway in a number of countries and the Saudi health authorities are following the developments.
The number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to decline in the Kingdom with the recovery rate from the illness rising to 96 percent. The minister attributed the decline on the “commitment to health precautions.”
“I also thank my fellow health practitioners for their wonderful efforts,” Al-Rabiah said.
Commenting on the second and stronger wave of COVID-19 in some countries, he said it was due to a lack of “commitment to social distancing” and failure to wear masks and taking other precautions.
He ruled out any leniency on part of the government in its fight against the virus. The minister said it is necessary to abide by precautionary measures to keep the virus at bay.

FASTFACTS

• Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday.

• With 16 new fatalities, the virus-related death toll has risen to 5,201.

“We (all) are in one boat, and the failure of some affects everyone, so we must work together” to check the spread of the virus.
He also advised people who show COVID-19 symptoms to visit Tetamman (rest assured) clinics.
“Appointments can be made through the ministry’s Sehaty app, and anyone who has any questions or wants to consult a doctor can call 937,” the minister said.
Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday. The total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 348,583 since the beginning of the outbreak in the Kingdom.
The Health Ministry said 16 more people died due to complications caused by the virus raising the death toll to 5,201. The ministry also reported 357 new recoveries. The total number of recovered cases has now increased to 328,895.