Mohamed Salah named in final Egypt World Cup squad

Mohamed Salah, pictured here during a friendly between Egypt and Portugal in March, 2018, has been named in the Egypt squad by Hector Cuper. (AFP)
Updated 05 June 2018
0

Mohamed Salah named in final Egypt World Cup squad

  • Salah one of 15 foreign-based players in the 23
  • He could be fit to face Saudi Arabia on June 25

CAIRO: Mohamed Salah is set to play some part in the World Cup after he was named in Egypt’s official squad.
Salah’s participation was cast into major doubt when he was withdrawn injured in the first half of the Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid in Kiev on May 26.
The Egyptian walked off the pitch in tears and there was a fear the injury to his left shoulder would keep him out of the showpiece tournament in Russia.
But a Liverpool physio said last week that he expects Salah to be sidelined for “between three and four weeks," meaning he could be fit for the key game with Saudi Arabia on June 25.
The Liverpool forward was optimistic about his recovery when posting on social media on Sunday.
“Good feelings... ,” Salah said on his official Twitter account along with a picture of him at the gym.
Salah missed Egypt’s goalless draw with Colombia last Friday as the North Africans continue their World Cup preparations.
Egypt play Belgium in their final warm-up game on Wednesday before opening their World Cup campaign against Group A rivals Uruguay on June 15. Hosts Russia and Saudi Arabia also compete in the same group.
Egypt’s squad includes 15 foreign-based players, most notably Salah, Mohamed Elneny, Mahmoud Trezeguet, Ramadan Sobhi, Ahmed Hegazi and Abdallah El-Said.
The eight Egypt-based players are Al Ahly’s Sherif Ekramy, Mohamed El-Shennawy, Ayman Ashraf, Ahmed Fathi Saad Samir, Marwan Mohsen, and Zamalek’s Mahmoud Hamdy El-Wensh and Tarek Hamed.

The unlucky five players to be cut from the 29-man squad were Mohamed Awaad, SC Braga forward Ahmed Hassan Kouka, Orlando City’s Amro Tarek, Zamalek’s Mahmoud Abdel-Aziz, Al-Masry forward Ahmed Gomaa, and Karim Hafez of RC Lens.

Egypt’s World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Essam El-Hadary (Al-Taawoun), Mohamed El-Shennawy (Al-Ahly), Sherif Ekramy (Al-Ahly).
Defenders: Ahmed Fathi (Al-Ahly), Saad Samir (Al-Ahly), Ayman Ashraf (Al Ahly), Mohamed AbdelShafy (Al-Fath), Ahmed Hegazi (West Brom), Ali Gabr (West Brom), Ahmed Elmohamady (Aston Villa), Omar Gaber (LAFC), Mahmoud Hamdy El-Wensh (Zamalek).
Midfielders: Tarek Hamed (Zamalek), Mahmoud Abdel-Razik Shikabala (Al-Raed), Abdallah El-Said (Al-Ahli), Sam Mursi (Wigan), Mohamed Elneny (Arsenal), Mahmoud Kahraba (Ittihad), Ramadan Sobhi (Stoke City), Mahmoud Trezeguet (Kasimpasa), Amr Warda (Atromitos).
Forwards: Marwan Mohsen (Al-Ahly), Mohamed Salah (Liverpool).


Ex-England forward Beardsley suspended over racist comments

Updated 19 September 2019

Ex-England forward Beardsley suspended over racist comments

  • Peter Beardsley suspended from all football-related activity for 32 weeks
  • Beardsley, who denied the allegations, has also been ordered to complete a face-to-face education course

LONDON: Former Newcastle Under-23s coach Peter Beardsley has been suspended from all football-related activity for 32 weeks after he was found guilty of making racist comments.
The England international, who played for Newcastle and Liverpool, was charged earlier this year by the Football Association with three counts of using racist language.
The 58-year-old’s departure from the Premier League club was confirmed in March after he was placed on leave while an investigation into bullying was carried out.
An FA statement said: “All three breaches of FA Rule E3 were denied but subsequently found proven based upon the results and findings of Newcastle United FC’s disciplinary proceedings.”
It added: “An independent regulatory commission has suspended Peter Beardsley from all football and football-related activity for a period of 32 weeks until 29 April 2020.”
The commission’s report described Beardsley as a “towering figure in football” and said his football reputation was “beyond question.”
But it found: “On the three occasions which are the subject of the charges, he made remarks which were obviously racist and were wholly unacceptable.
“Even if he did not intend to do so, he plainly did cause offense. It is particularly important at a time when racism in football is prevalent that remarks of the kind made by Mr. Beardsley are punished severely.”
Beardsley, who denied the allegations, has also been ordered to complete a “face-to-face” education course.
In a statement released on his behalf by his solicitors, Beardsley spoke of his disappointment at the decision, but vowed to return to football.
It said: “Peter Beardsley is very surprised and disappointed by the decision of the regulatory commission.
“It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that the FA Rules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.
“After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the commission has expressly found that he is not a racist.”