End of women driving ban caps dramatic year of achievements since Saudi crown prince’s appointment

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has overseen reforms focusing on women’s freedoms and expansion of the entertainment sector. AFP
Updated 24 June 2018

End of women driving ban caps dramatic year of achievements since Saudi crown prince’s appointment

  • The beginning of 2018 brought a decision that took the Kingdom closer to ending all forms of discrimination against its female population, with women allowed to watch football matches with their families
  • On April 18, a 35-year ban on cinemas was lifted, with a screening of Marvel’s “Black Panther”

JEDDAH: A crackdown on corruption, guarantees of women’s rights, an overhaul of the entertainment sector and a shake-up of the economy — in the past year, Saudi Arabia has witnessed extraordinary changes.
The bold reforms, introduced in the 12 months since Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman took his post last June 21, have made headlines locally and globally.
The first sign of social transformation in the Kingdom came on
Sept. 26, 2017, with a royal decree lifting the decades-long ban on women driving. Less than a month later, Princess Reema bint Bandar became the first Saudi woman to be appointed head of a sports federation.
Then, last November, Saudi Arabia initiated unprecedented anti-corruption measures that included princes, government officials and major business owners among its targets. The Kingdom so far has recovered more than $100 billion in its crackdown, and sent a clear signal that those who engage in corrupt business practices will face prosecution.
Corruption was not the only obstacle facing the crown prince, who made clear that embracing moderate Islam is the way forward. “We are returning to what we were before — a country of moderate Islam that is open to all religions and to the world,” he told a Future Investment Initiative conference in Riyadh.
The beginning of 2018 brought a decision that took the Kingdom closer to ending all forms of discrimination against its female population, with women allowed to watch football matches with their families.
Strengthening the Kingdom’s international and diplomatic ties, the crown prince landed in the UK on March 7, kick-starting a global tour to focus on business, political and defense initiatives. After a warm welcome in London, he met with British Prime Minister Theresa May, Queen Elizabeth and the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Landing in Washington on March 20, the crown prince had a White House meeting with President Donald Trump and, in New York, met with former US president Bill Clinton and former secretary of state John Kerry. He also held talks with representatives from Harvard University, MIT, Amazon and Warner Bros. studio.
In only a year, the crown prince has successfully reformed many sectors of the Kingdom. Some of the biggest changes were in the Saudi entertainment sector with large-scale concerts and family events surging in popularity.
On April 18, a 35-year ban on cinemas was lifted, with a screening of Marvel’s “Black Panther.” The decision is expected to secure hundreds of millions of dollars that previously Saudi tourists had spent traveling abroad to attend movies. Global companies eager to invest in this unprecedented market in the Kingdom included the blockbuster American theater chain AMC and the UAE’s VOX Cinemas.
The entertainment overhaul is part of Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 plan to diversify the country’s economy. On Thursday, the reforms were given added impetus when the Saudi Arabian stock exchange (Tadawul) was upgraded and joined the MSCI Emerging Market Index.
“This is a significant milestone for the Saudi capital market,” Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Finance, Mohammed Al-Jadaan, said.

• Download our free #SaudiWomenCanDrive mobile phone background designed by renowned artist Malika Favre:  https://startyourengines.21wallpaper.design

 


Attacks on oil facilities in Kingdom threaten world economy: Saudi energy minister

Updated 15 September 2019

Attacks on oil facilities in Kingdom threaten world economy: Saudi energy minister

  • Saudi Aramco says no staff have been injured in attacks
  • The oil giant is working on restoring the lost quantities

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s energy minister said drones that attacked Saudi Aramco installations had caused an interruption of an estimated 5.7 million barrels in crude supplies and threaten the world economy.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said as a result of the terrorist acts, oil production in Abqaiq and Khurais was knocked out temporarily and that estimates show that 50 percent of the company’s production had been interrupted.

Part of the decrease will be compensated to clients through reserves, Prince Abdulaziz said in a statement carried on the Saudi Press Agency.

The newly appointed minister confirmed there were no injuries to staff at the locations targeted, adding that the company is still assessing the resulting damage.

The attacks not only target the Kingdom’s vital installations, but also target the international oil supply and threaten its security, he said, and are a threat to the world economy. 

The blasts took place at 3:31am and 3:42am at the two locations, both in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, causing fires that were brought under control by emergency services.

The drone attacks, at the world’s largest oil processing plant at Abqaiq and at an oilfield in Khurais, highlight the importance of the international community to protect energy supply against “all terrorist sides that carry out, support and finance such cowardly disruptive acts,” the statement said.

He said that these blasts also knocked out the production of 2bn cubic feet of associated gas daily, used to produce 700,000 barrels of natural gas liquids, which will lead to an approximate 50 percent decrease of Ethane and natural gas liquids supply.

The statement said the company is currently working on restoring the lost quantities, and will present updated information within the next 48 hours.

World leaders condemned the attacks on Saudi Arabia on Saturday and those behind the terrorist acts. 

Donald Trump called Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to reassert his country's “readiness to cooperate with the Kingdom, by all means conducive to maintain its security and stability.”

The Crown Prince "underscored the Kingdom’s willingness and strength to thwart such a terrorist aggression and deal with its consequences,” SPA reported on Saturday.

The UAE said it “condemns this act of terrorism and sabotage and considers it as a new evidence of the terrorist groups’ attempts to undermine the security and stability of the region as a whole.”

“The Houthis must stop undermining Saudi Arabia’s security by threatening civilian areas and commercial infrastructure,” said the British government.

“The US strongly condemns today’s drone attacks. These attacks against critical infrastructure endanger civilians, are unacceptable, and sooner or later will result in innocent lives being lost,” said the US envoy in Riyadh John Abizaid.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was emphatic about the need to condemn Iranian aggression, specifically on Saudi Arabia, and the need to ensure the security of world energy supplies.

“Tehran is behind nearly 100 attacks on Saudi Arabia while Rouhani and Zarif pretend to engage in diplomacy. Amid all the calls for de-escalation, Iran has now launched an unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply. There is no evidence the attacks came from Yemen,” he tweeted, “We call on all nations to publicly and unequivocally condemn Iran’s attacks. The United States will work with our partners and allies to ensure that energy markets remain well supplied and Iran is held accountable for its aggression”

The Houthis, who are backed by Iran, said they had carried out the attacks and that 10 drones had been used.