Star of ‘Borat’ returns satirical gaze to US

Sacha Baron Cohen's “Who Is America?” will air in the US on Sunday. (Shutterstock)
Updated 11 July 2018

Star of ‘Borat’ returns satirical gaze to US

  • Cable channel Showtime said the seven episode “Who Is America?” will launch on Sunday in the United States and on July 16 on Britain’s Channel 4

LOS ANGELES: Sacha Baron Cohen, the British comedian who ridiculed Kazakhstan and Middle America in “Borat” and satirized the fashion industry in “Bruno,” is heading back to television for the first time in a decade with a comedy series about the United States.
Cable channel Showtime said the seven episode “Who Is America?” will launch on Sunday in the United States and on July 16 on Britain’s Channel 4.
The announcement gave few details about the new series other than to say it will “explore the diverse individuals, from the infamous to the unknown across the political and cultural spectrum.”
In a trailer, former US defense secretary Dick Cheney is pictured signing what is described as a water-boarding kit, and saying, “I hope you’ll tune in next week for an interview with me.”
Showtime Chief Executive David Nevins called Baron Cohen “the premier provocateur of our time” and said the series had been in the works during the past year.
It was not clear whether Baron Cohen, 46, would resurrect his cheeky alter ego Ali G., a white English rapper, whose interviews with subjects including Donald Trump and Newt Gingrich launched his comedy career some 20 years ago.
His award winning 2006 faux-documentary film “Borat,” in which he played an anti-Semitic reporter from Kazakhstan who interacts with real Americans unaware they were being set up, earned some $261 million at the global box office. Recent projects, including “The Dictator” and “The Brothers Grimsby” have been less successful. 


Pop star Rita Ora ‘embarrassed’ after breaking London lockdown

Updated 01 December 2020

Pop star Rita Ora ‘embarrassed’ after breaking London lockdown

LONDON: British singer Rita Ora apologized on Monday for breaking coronavirus lockdown rules after holding a 30th birthday party with friends in a London restaurant.

Writing on the social media platform Instagram, Ora called the party, which took place on Saturday in Notting Hill, west London, a “serious and inexcusable error of judgement.”

“It was a spur of the moment decision made with the misguided view that we were coming out of lockdown and this would be OK,” Ora wrote on Instagram.

“I feel particularly embarrassed knowing first hand how hard people have worked to combat this terrible illness.

“Even though this won’t make it right, I want to sincerely apologize,” she added.

London police confirmed that officers had been called to Notting Hill over a breach of Covid-19 regulations.

“Officers continue to assess the allegations and are liaising with the local authority regarding a potential breach of regulations at the premises. Enquiries continue,” a Metropolitan police statement said.

The singer of hits that include “Let You Love Me” and “How to Be Lonely” has volunteered to pay a fine.

Police in England can issue fines of up to $13,352 for breaches of the lockdown curbs.

England was placed under four weeks of restrictions to stop the spread of coronavirus in November. Restaurants and pubs were among businesses affected.

The Sun newspaper published photos of Ora and other celebrities arriving at a restaurant.

“It’s important that everybody in society sets an example by following the rules - that is for every member of the public, including celebrities,” the Prime Minister's official spokesman said.

“But it’s up to police to decide what action to take.”