FIBA bans players, coaches over basketball brawl in Manila

FIBA bans players, coaches over basketball brawl in Manila
Philippines’ Jason William jumps to hit Australia’s Daniel Kickert, center left, as others rush to break a brawl during the FIBA World Cup qualifying basketball game on July 2, 2018. (AP)
Updated 19 July 2018

FIBA bans players, coaches over basketball brawl in Manila

FIBA bans players, coaches over basketball brawl in Manila

MELBOURNE, Australia: International governing body FIBA says 13 players and two coaches have been suspended and fined and sanctions imposed on the national federations of the Philippines and Australia after a brawl during an Asian qualifier for next year’s basketball World Cup.
Video of the brawl was widely played around the world on various websites, with punches thrown, chairs tossed at players from the crowd, and security needed to restore order during the July 2 match.
Ten Philippines players were suspended: Japeth Aguilar and Matthew Wright (one game each); Terence Romeo, Jayson Castro William, Andray Blatche and Jeth Rosario (three games each); Roger Pogoy, Carl Cruz and Jio Jalalon (five games each); Calvin Abueva (six games, due also to prior unsportsmanlike behavior in a FIBA competition).
FIBA said Philippines assistant coach Joseph Uichico was suspended for three games for unsportsmanlike behavior. Head Coach Vincent ‘Chot’ Reyes was suspended for one game and fined for unsportsmanlike behavior, as was the national federation.
Australian player Daniel Kickert was given a five-match ban for unsportsmanlike behavior. Basketball Australia said Milwaukee Bucks forward Thom Maker received a three-game ban, Chris Goulding a one-game suspension and that Basketball Australia had been imposed a fine of $110,000 for removing floor decals during team training on the day before the match.
Australian veteran Kickert was seen to elbow a Philippines player in response to a foul on Goulding before the brawl erupted.
Basketball Australia chief executive Anthony Moore said it was unlikely the organization would appeal the bans.
“As we stated at the outset, Basketball Australia sincerely regrets the incident,” Moore said.
“We acknowledge the sanctions handed down against Australian players and acknowledge the sanctions imposed against Philippines players and officials involved in the incident. We are seeking further clarification from FIBA about possible sanctions against other officials and fans involved in the incident.”