JEDDAH: Around a million mines have been planted by Houthi militia in Yemen over the past three years, claiming the lives of more than 1,000 civilians, Saudi Arabia’s mine clearance project said Saturday.
The Saudi Project for Landmine Clearance (MASAM) aims to dismantle mines in Yemen to protect civilians and ensure that urgent humanitarian supplies are delivered safely.
In a statement carried by UAE state news agency WAM, the project said it has detected and removed over 900 mines and explosives in just two weeks.
"MASAM teams have managed to detect and remove 919 mines and explosive charges in Taiz, Red Sea Coast, Beihan, Osailan, Saada, Shabwa and Marib, only during the two weeks that followed the launch of the project," Osama Al-Qasibi, MASAM director-general, said in statements quoted by WAM.
"Most of these are internationally banned anti-vehicle and anti-personnel mines that originate from difference sources in addition to 288 locally devised or Iranian-made mines," he added.
He also noted that the Houthis are developing anti-vehicle mines and are turning them to anti-personnel explosives to intimidate and terrorize civilians.
It was reported earlier that landmines in Yemen threatening lives on daily basis. This has made Yemen one of the largest land mine battlefields since the Second World Wa