Deontay Wilder calls for rematch with Tyson Fury

1 / 3
A rematch between Wilder and Fury is the one fight fans across the world want to see. (AFP)
2 / 3
3 / 3
Updated 05 December 2018

Deontay Wilder calls for rematch with Tyson Fury

  • Wilder deals right hook at Fury claims he will try to wrestle out of a possible rematch.
  • US fighter insists we want Fury fight as soon as possible.

LOS ANGELES: Deontay Wilder has called for an immediate rematch with Tyson Fury, dismissing claims from his British rival he would attempt to avoid a return bout after their epic heavyweight duel in Los Angeles.
Wilder retained his World Boxing Council heavyweight crown on Saturday after a thrilling 12-round battle ended in a split decision draw at the Staples Center.
Fury, who many observers believe did enough to win despite being knocked down twice during the fight, said on Monday he feared Wilder would seek to duck a rematch “at all costs.”
However the 33-year-old Wilder rejected that claim in the strongest possible terms, saying a rematch with Fury was his priority rather than a unification bout with WBA, IBF and WBO champion Anthony Joshua.
“I’m ready to do it again,” Wilder said.
“My main goal is Tyson Fury. I’m looking forward to giving him the rematch as soon as possible.
“This is the biggest fight still in the heavyweight division, this is the most exciting fight in the heavyweight division and we’re ready to give the fans what they want to see.”

Many pundits and fans thought Fury had done enough to win the fight in LA on Saturday. 


Wilder snatched a draw on Saturday after Fury somehow recovered from a devastating 12th round knockdown by the American champion to finish the fight on his feet.
Wilder said he would make no mistake in any possible rematch.
“He woke up from hell — I want to put him back there,” Wilder said.
Fury, who only returned to boxing this year after nearly three years out of the ring as he struggled with depression, drink and drug problems, had said Monday he doubted Wilder would grant him a return.
“I’ve got a funny feeling he’s going to get his running shoes out and stay away from me at all costs,” Fury said.

WILDER SAYS REMATCH IS ‘INESCAPABLE’

However Wilder said a rematch was all but inescapable.
“Both sides definitely want (a rematch) to happen. I don’t see why we wouldn’t. It’s a great fight and the build-up has already started. We can’t get away from this fight.
“It’s only right for us to go back in and do it again. I don’t want no other fights to happen between him or I before then. I want to give Tyson Fury the rematch ASAP.”
Wilder, who on Saturday had spoken enthusiastically about a possible unification fight with Joshua, meanwhile poured cold water on the idea on Tuesday.
Asked where he now saw Joshua’s place in the heavyweight pecking order, Wilder replied: “I haven’t even thought about Joshua. They’re getting what they deserve.”
Negotiations over a possible Wilder-Joshua showdown stalled earlier this year.

If the rematch does go ahead then the winner will likely face Anthony Joshua in a mega fight. 


Wilder’s camp maintain they offered $50 million to Joshua to accept a fight, a gambit dismissed by the British boxer’s manager Eddie Hearn as a “wonderful PR move.”
“They felt like they was the only people in boxing or the heavyweight division that people cared about,” Wilder said of the Joshua camp. “We don’t care about him no more.
“They had their opportunity. They had four months to have their opportunity. But they led people on. Their ego got the best of them.
“So let them continue to fight the second tier fighters.”
Wilder also dismissed criticism of the scoring of Saturday’s fight, adamant that Fury had not done enough to win.
“He was landing some punches but most of them was pitty-patter, they didn’t affect me,” Wilder said.
“When you coming in here fighting the champion, you’ve got to be dominant. You’ve got to take the title, and I don’t think Fury took the title. I felt like I won that fight, totally.”


FIFA bribe allegations raise more questions over Qatar World Cup

Updated 9 min 25 sec ago

FIFA bribe allegations raise more questions over Qatar World Cup

  • Suspicion and rumors have long surrounded Qatar's bid

LONDON: The 2022 World Cup in Qatar has become the focus of fresh FIFA corruption allegations after the release of a new US Department of Justice indictment which says bribes were paid to football officials to secure their votes for hosting rights.

Suspicion and rumors have long surrounded both the 2010 vote by FIFA’s executive to hand the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar. But on Monday, for the first time, prosecutors set direct, formal allegations down in print.

According to the prosecutors, representatives working for Russia and Qatar bribed FIFA executive committee officials to swing votes in the crucial decision of world football’s governing body.

FIFA and the Qatar World Cup organizers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Qatar and Russia’s World Cup bids have always denied paying bribes.

Although FIFA has reacted to previous media allegations about the Qatar bid process by insisting the tournament will be unaffected, the USallegations will lead to further questions over the hosting of the tournament, which is scheduled for November and December of 2022.

The indictment states that the three South American members of FIFA’s 2010 executive — Brazil’s Ricardo Teixeira, the late Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay and an unnamed co-conspirator — took bribes to vote for Qatar to host the 2022 tournament.

“Ricardo Teixeira, Nicolas Leoz and co-conspirator #1 were offered and received bribe payments in exchange for their votes in favor of Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup,” reads the indictment.

Teixeira, the former son-in-law of long-time FIFA boss Joao Havelange and ex-head of the Brazilian soccer federation (CBF), was not immediately reachable for comment.

The DOJ also alleges that then FIFA vice president Jack Warner was paid $5 million through various shell companies to vote for Russia to host the 2018 World Cup.

Warner has been accused of a number of crimes in the long-running USprobe and is fighting extradition from his homeland of Trinidad and Tobago. Warner, who was not immediately reachable for comment, has always denied any wrongdoing.

Alexei Sorokin, CEO of the local organizing committee for Russia’s 2018 World Cup, told the Interfax news agency: “This is only the opinion of lawyers. We have repeatedly said that our bid was transparent.

“At the time we answered all questions, including from the investigation branch of FIFA and from the media, we handed over all needed documents. We have nothing to add to this and we will not respond to attempts to cast a shadow on our bid.”

Asked if the Kremlin was aware of the US indictment, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: “We read the media reports. We don’t understand what they refer to.

“Russia received the right to host the World Cup completely legally. It is in no way linked to any bribes. We reject this. And Russia hosted the best soccer World Cup in history, which we are proud of.”

The Qatar World Cup organizers have been fending off allegations of corruption ever since the tiny Gulf state was awarded the 2022 tournament.

In 2014, FIFA, then under the control of former President Sepp Blatter, cleared Russia and Qatar of wrongdoing in their bids to host the World Cup after an investigation.

Blatter was banned from football by FIFA along with scores of other officials following internal ethics investigations, promoted by the arrests of seven FIFA officials on UScorruption charges in Zurich in May 2015.