Houthis have no intention of implementing Swedish agreement, says coalition

Col. Turki Al-Maliki, spokesman for the coalition, said there had been continuous violations committed by the Iran-backed Houthis ever since the cease-fire came into effect. (SPA)
Updated 08 January 2019

Houthis have no intention of implementing Swedish agreement, says coalition

  • The retired Dutch Major General Patrick Cammaert is overseeing the team keeping track of the agreement reached last month in Sweden

RIYADH: Arab coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said on Monday that Houthi militias continue to violate terms of the Swedish cease-fire agreement in Yemen.

He accused the militias of blocking UN aid ships carrying food from moving from Hodeidah to the port of Sanaa. 

“The Houthi militias are obstructing relief and humanitarian work,” said Al-Maliki. “This is a violation of international humanitarian law, and a disruption of what was agreed in the Swedish agreement.” 

Under the terms of the agreement, signed in Hodeidah, Houthi forces were to withdraw from the city and the port within 14 days. Militiamen were also expected to withdraw from the ports of Salif and Ras Issa to the north of Sanaa. 

Al-Maliki, though, claimed that fighters continue to dig trenches in the province to store weapons, have deployed snipers and banned armaments, and used the area to launch two ballistic missiles after the agreement was signed in December.

Al-Maliki also praised the efforts of the UN team assigned to monitor the cease-fire.

The retired Dutch Major General Patrick Cammaert is overseeing the team keeping track of the agreement reached last month in Sweden.

Al-Maliki said the Houthi militia continues to dig trenches, and use dirt mounds to camouflage and store weapons inside them.

He added that they had violated international law by allegedly planting sea mines in the port and beyond, threatening shipping in the southern Red Sea.

There have been 213 ballistic missiles launched by the militias toward the Kingdom between March 26, 2015 and Jan. 7, 2019.

Meanwhile, more air, land and sea relief ports in Yemen have been opened, and the total number of maritime permits issued by the Joint Forces Command from March 26, 2015 to Jan. 7, 2019 was 5,076. Air permits for the same period were issued for 13,213 passengers, and there were 1,229 land permits.

Almost 300 of these permits went to humanitarian aid organizations, vital for the rebuilding and resupply of Yemen. 


Houthis, Iran condemned over new drone attacks on KSA

Updated 26 October 2020

Houthis, Iran condemned over new drone attacks on KSA

  • One civilian injured by shrapnel after Saudi-led coalition intercepts four flying bombs launched from Yemen

JEDDAH: Houthi militias and their Iranian backers were condemned on Sunday after the Saudi-led coalition intercepted four explosive-laden drones in two attacks launched from Yemen targeting the south of the Kingdom.

Three of the drones were destroyed early on Saturday and a fourth on Sunday. Shrapnel that fell in Sarat Abidah governorate injured a civilian, and damaged five homes and three vehicles, said civil defense spokesman Capt. Mohammed Abdu Al-Sayed.

Iran was increasing its support to the Houthis to undermine efforts for peace, Dr. Hamdan Al-Shehri, the political analyst and international relations scholar, told Arab News.

“They want the Houthis to sabotage all they can in Saudi Arabia, regardless of whether their target is a populated area, oil facilities or even a sacred place. This adds tension to the area, and that is what Iran is working on.”

Iranians want the Houthis to sabotage all they can in Saudi Arabia, regardless of whether their target is a populated area, oil facilities or even a sacred place. This adds tension to the area, and that is what Iran is working on.

Dr. Hamdan Al-Shehri, political analyst and international relations scholar

Al-Shehri said the situation in Yemen would remain the same unless the legitimate government was returned to Yemen, Security Council Resolution 2216 was put into practice and the Houthi militia were removed.

“Without these things, the Yemen crisis will not end and the whole region will remain in tension.”

The Houthis did not differentiate between military sites and civilian locations, he said.

“Their objective is to damage all places they can reach in Saudi Arabia, and their latest attempts to attack a populated area are nothing new.

“They have also targeted airports and some Aramco oil facilities. If the Aramco attack had not been contained, the damage would have affected the whole Eastern region. They have also attempted to target Makkah, where pilgrims and worshippers were performing their rituals.

“They don’t care. If you look back at what the Revolutionary Guards did at the Grand Mosque, you will realize it is not strange that the Houthis are trying to destroy everything in Saudi Arabia. The strange thing is the silence of the world toward what is happening.”