Venezuela’s Maduro says there has been contact with US officials ‘for months’

In this Jan. 24, 2019 file photo, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, right, speaks with Constitutional Assembly President Diosdado Cabello at the Supreme Court during an annual ceremony that marks the start of the judicial year in Caracas, Venezuela. (AP)
Updated 21 August 2019
0

Venezuela’s Maduro says there has been contact with US officials ‘for months’

  • Maduro said he could not reveal details about which officials had been in contact with the Trump administration

CARACAS: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Tuesday he had authorized contact with the administration of US President Donald Trump “for months,” in an effort to repair relations with Washington.
In January, Maduro broke diplomatic relations with the United States. Washington imposed sanctions on high-level officials and Venezuelan state entities to increase pressure on Maduro and remove him as leader of the OPEC nation.
Officials from the two countries had not previously confirmed contact until earlier Tuesday, when Trump told journalists at the White House his administration had been in talks “at a very high level” with various representatives from Venezuela but declined to give details.
Maduro said he could not reveal details about which officials had been in contact with the Trump administration or what they had discussed, but that the goal of the discussions was to “normalize and resolve this conflict” between the two countries.
“I can confirm that for months we have had contact,” Maduro said during an appearance on state television. “Just as I have sought dialogue in Venezuela, I have sought a way for President Donald Trump to really listen to Venezuela,” he added.
Maduro and a delegation representing opposition leader Juan Guaido have been meeting in Barbados as part of talks to resolve a political stalemate in nation that is suffering from a hyperinflationary economic collapse.
This week opposition politicians are traveling to Washington to speak to US officials, four sources told Reuters.


Hong Kong readies for more protests after night of clashes

Updated 38 min 35 sec ago

Hong Kong readies for more protests after night of clashes

  • Transit authorities closed the two intermediate stations on the airport express train to guard against a possible disruption
  • The Hong Kong International Airport Authority said that the train would operate only between the airport and the terminus station in the center of the city on Sunday

HONG KONG: Another day of protest is expected in Hong Kong after a night of violent clashes in which the police used tear gas and rubber rounds against protesters who threw gasoline bombs toward them and set fires in streets.
Transit authorities closed the two intermediate stations on the airport express train to guard against a possible disruption of transportation to the transportation hub. Separately an afternoon protest has been called at a shopping mall in the outlying Shatin district.
The Hong Kong International Airport Authority said that the train would operate only between the airport and the terminus station in the center of the city on Sunday. Some airport bus routes have also been suspended.
The anti-government protesters are making several demands including fully democratic elections in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.