Prince Harry to visit Diana’s Angola land mine project

Britain’s Prince Harry takes part in activities with children at the Khayelitsha Football for Hope project in Cape Town, in 2015. (Reuters)
Updated 06 September 2019

Prince Harry to visit Diana’s Angola land mine project

  • The pictures of Diana wearing protective gear as she walked among red skull-and-crossbone signs in 1997 won vital publicity for the Halo Trust
  • Harry, 34, the queen’s grandson and seventh-in-line to the throne, is a frequent visitor to southern Africa for conservation work and holidays

LONDON: Britain’s Prince Harry will make a poignant visit to Angola this month to visit the land mine clearance project that featured in some of the most famous photographs of his late mother Princess Diana.
The pictures of Diana wearing protective gear as she walked among red skull-and-crossbone signs in 1997 won vital publicity for the Halo Trust which was clearing mines left during Angola’s civil war.
Diana died a few months before the international treaty to ban the weapons was signed later that year.
“(Harry) will visit the location where his mother was photographed. He will see how an area that was a dangerous minefield in 1997 is now a busy street with schools, shops and houses,” Buckingham Palace said on Friday.
Harry, his wife Meghan and their baby son Archie will start their 10-day tour in Cape Town, South Africa, while Harry will also go to Malawi and Botswana at the request of the Foreign Office, the palace added.
The trip will be the first official tour as a family for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Meghan, 37, a former US actress, gave birth to Archie, their first child, in May. Archbishop Desmond Tutu will be among the dignitaries the couple will meet during the visit.
Harry, 34, the queen’s grandson and seventh-in-line to the throne, is a frequent visitor to southern Africa for conservation work and holidays.
The trip will take place between Sept. 23 and Oct. 2.


Protests in New Delhi against India’s citizenship law ahead of Trump visit

Updated 23 February 2020

Protests in New Delhi against India’s citizenship law ahead of Trump visit

  • Hundreds of people supporting the new law clashed with those opposing it
  • The protest comes just a day before US President Donald Trump begins a two-day visit to India

NEW DELHI: Police used tear gas to disperse large crowds in India’s capital of New Delhi on Sunday in the latest eruption of violence at protests over a new citizenship law, police officials said.
Hundreds of people supporting the new law clashed with those opposing it, with the two groups pelting each other with stones in the Maujpur area in the northeastern part of the city, according to television footage.
“There must be some miscreants who want to spoil the peace in the area. We will identify them and take action against them,” Alok Kumar, a senior Delhi police official, told reporters about the protest.
“The situation is under control now,” he added.
The protest comes just a day before US President Donald Trump begins a two-day visit to India, where he is expected to raise the issue of religious freedom in the country with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
India’s Citizenship Amendment Act, which eases the path for non-Muslims from neighboring Muslim-majority nations to gain citizenship, has triggered weeks of sometimes violent protests against Modi’s government.
The Indian law is seen by opponents as discriminating against Muslims and has deepened concerns that Modi’s administration is undermining India’s secular traditions.
Modi’s ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party denies any bias against the country’s 180 million Muslims.
On Sunday, a separate protest also erupted in the northern Indian city of Aligarh, where protesters threw stones at the police, state administration official Chandra Bhushan Singh said.
The Internet in the area had been suspended until midnight, he added.