Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s new energy minister

Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman
Updated 09 September 2019
0

Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s new energy minister

Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman was appointed energy minister by royal decree on Sunday, replacing Khalid Al-Falih, who had held the post since May 2016. 

Prince Abdul Aziz had served as minister of state for energy affairs at the Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources since 2017.

He had also served as deputy minister of petroleum and mineral resources since 2015, and was an assistant to the minister from 2004 to 2015, undersecretary at the ministry from 1995 to 2004, and adviser to the minister from 1987 to 1995.

Prince Abdul Aziz served as director of the department of economic and industrial studies at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals from 1985 to 1987.

He headed the team formed by the Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources and Saudi Aramco to prepare the Kingdom’s oil strategy, as well as the team charged with updating the strategy.

He also played a role in putting forth the first strategy endorsed by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) at its ministerial conference in 2005, when he chaired the committee of OPEC oil and energy ministers to prepare its long-term strategy.

Prince Abdul Aziz is a member of the High Committee for Hydrocarbons, the board of directors of King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology, and the board of directors of King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy.

He attained his bachelor’s degree in industrial management from King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals in Dhahran in 1982, and his MBA from the same university in 1985.


Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry displays Iranian drones, cruise missiles used in Aramco attacks

Updated 8 min 19 sec ago

Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry displays Iranian drones, cruise missiles used in Aramco attacks

  • Defense ministry spokesman says attacks were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran
  • Investigations are still underway to pinpoint the exact launch location, but definitely not yemen

RIYADH:

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia displayed Iranian drones and cruise missiles that it said were used in an attack against Aramco facilities at the weekend.

The attacks were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran but investigations are still underway to pinpoint the exact launch location, defense ministry spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said at a news conference in Riyadh.

Weapons used to attack #SaudiArabia on display ahead of Defense Ministry press conference about Iranian involvement in Saturday's #Aramco attacks

However he said that the strikes came from the north and  definitely not come from Yemen, where Houthi militants claimed they had been launched from on Saturday. 

He said a total of 25 drones and missiles were launched at Khurais oil field and Abqaiq processing plant.  They included Iranian Delta Wing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and “Ya Ali” cruise missiles. The same missiles have been used by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, he said.

“The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran," he told a news conference. “The evidence ... that you have seen in front of you, makes this undeniable.”

Earlier, the Saudi ambassador to London said Iran was almost certainly behind the attacks on an oil processing facility and an oil field that cut the Kingdom’s oil production by half. 

The US has blamed Iran for the attacks and officials told Reuters that they originated in south-western Iran and involved cruise missiles and drones.

Iran-backed Houthi militants initially claimed they had carried out the attack from Yemen, where Saudi Arabia is part of a coalition supporting government forces fighting the militia. 

*With Reuters