Buses collide in central Sudan, killing 21

Last month, a similar crash between two buses killed 15 people and left 22 others injured on a highway south of the capital, Khartoum. (File photo: Reuters)
Updated 16 October 2019

Buses collide in central Sudan, killing 21

  • SUNA reports the crash took place on Wednesday in a small town south of Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan Province

CAIRO: Sudan's state-run news agency says a head-on collision between two buses has killed 21 people in a central province.
SUNA reports the crash took place on Wednesday in a small town south of Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan Province. It said 29 others were injured.
Local media say one bus was heading to Kaduqli, the capital of South Kordofan Province, and the other was traveling to Obeid.
Road accidents are common in Sudan, often the result of badly maintained roads and poor enforcement of traffic laws. The World Health Organization said road accidents killed more than 10,000 people in Sudan in 2018.
Last month, a similar crash between two buses killed 15 people and left 22 others injured on a highway south of the capital, Khartoum.


Turkey probes dozens over quake social media posts

Updated 27 January 2020

Turkey probes dozens over quake social media posts

  • Suspects accused of sharing fake images about the quake on social media
  • Death toll from Friday’s quake had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors

ISTANBUL: Turkish prosecutors are investigating dozens of people for “provocative” social media messages about the deadly earthquake in eastern Turkey, reports said Monday.
The death toll from Friday’s quake in Elazig province had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors amid the rubble.
The Ankara prosecutor’s office is checking 50 individuals on suspicion of “spreading fear and panic” and “insulting the Turkish people, the Turkish republic and the state institutions,” the Hurriyet daily said.
The suspects are accused of sharing fake images about the quake on social media.
Turkish authorities were winding up their rescue efforts on Monday.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told reporters that 24,000 tents had been provided, 1,000 container shelters were being built, and funds released to repair damaged buildings.
Thirty-five of the victims died in Elazig and four in the neighboring province of Malatya, officials said.
Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 86 injured were still being treated in hospitals — 18 of them in intensive care units.