Aid group warns of Yemen dengue epidemic after 78 child deaths

Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions pushed to the brink of famine since the start of the war in 2015. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 January 2020

Aid group warns of Yemen dengue epidemic after 78 child deaths

  • Save the Children said that a total of 192 people have died in Yemen last year from dengue-related illnesses
  • Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions pushed to the brink of famine

DUABI: At least 78 children in war-torn Yemen have died from dengue-related illnesses, Save the Children said Tuesday, warning of an epidemic.
“Seventy-eight children under 16 have already died in the outbreak of dengue-related illness in Yemen, with more than 52,000 suspected cases being recorded across the country,” the aid group said in a statement.
It added this “could signal the start of an epidemic.”
Save the Children said that a total of 192 people have died in Yemen last year from dengue-related illnesses — most cases reported in the port cities of Hodeida and Aden.
“Hodeida has the second highest death rate in the country with 62 adult and children deaths in 2019. We have never seen anything like this before,” said Save the Children’s field coordinator in Yemen, Mariam Aldogani, herself recovering from dengue fever.
“More than 40 of our staff including their families have been affected by the fever.”
According to the Red Cross in November, Yemen was already grappling with an epidemic of the viral disease, which is trasmitted by several species of mosquito that breed in stagnant water.
Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions pushed to the brink of famine since the start of the war in 2015.
It has generated what the United Nations has termed the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.


Iranian hard-liners in parliament reject president’s nominee

Updated 13 min 14 sec ago

Iranian hard-liners in parliament reject president’s nominee

  • According to the parliament’s website, lawmakers rejected Hossein Modares Khiabani’s nomination for minister of trade and industries
  • Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the vote was 140-104 against the nominee

TEHRAN, Iran: Iranian hard-liners in parliament on Wednesday voted against President Hassan Rouhani’s nominee for trade minister in the first showdown between the rival camps since the house resumed work in May despite the struggles to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
According to the parliament’s website, lawmakers rejected Hossein Modares Khiabani’s nomination for minister of trade and industries.
Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the vote was 140-104 against the nominee. There were 254 lawmakers at the session and 10 abstained. The parliament has 290 seats.
The vote marked the first serious confrontation between the newly elected house, dominated by conservatives and the bloc of supporters of the relatively moderate Rouhani. Under the law, Rouhani must introduce new nominees to his Cabinet in the next three months.
Rouhani in May dismissed the trade and industry minister at the time, Reza Rahmani, as Iran faced an unprecedented economic downturn amid intense pressure from the United States after President Donald Trump pulled America out of Iran’s nuclear with world powers and reimposed sanctions on the country. Khiabani, 52, had since been the acting trade minister.
Iran is also grappling with the largest and deadliest outbreak of the coronavirus in the Middle East, with more than 331,000 confirmed cases and at least 18,800 deaths.