Petition launched for UK man accused of sexual assault for ‘patting’ male officer in Egypt

A petition has been set up demanding the release of a British businessman Tony Camoccio arrested in Egypt accused of sexual assault after “patting a male airport security guard on the back.” (Screenshot: Change.org)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2020

Petition launched for UK man accused of sexual assault for ‘patting’ male officer in Egypt

  • 
Camoccio, 51, was reportedly arrested at the country’s Hurghada International Airport
  • Egyptian officials say that Camoccio was caught on CCTV

LONDON: A petition has been set up demanding the release of a British businessman arrested in Egypt accused of sexual assault after “patting a male airport security guard on the back.”
The online petition on change.org calling for Tony Camoccio to be released had reached 4,000 signatures by Friday.

Camoccio, 51, was reportedly arrested at the country’s Hurghada International Airport on Feb. 8 during a security check while traveling back to the UK after a holiday with his wife and some friends.
The British man’s relatives and friends says he is being falsely accused of sexual assault, and claim he merely patted the security officer.
The description of the petition reads: “At customs in Hurghada airport on his outbound journey, (Tony) was at final checkpoint where he was, as a standard procedure for all outbound passengers, patted down by a security officer.
“Tony then gently patted the officer’s back, and is now facing serious accusations.
“He was held in a general population cell overnight where he remained in handcuffs, petrified for his life as he did not know what he was supposedly being charged with or what he had done wrong.
“His basic human rights were being abused and these are false accusations.”
Egyptian officials say that Camoccio was caught on CCTV making sexual gestures at the officer.
“We checked with the police surveillance system – the passenger molested the police officer who was checking him at security. When this was investigated, they checked CCTV and saw that what the policeman said is true,” said Samia Mossad, a manager at the airport.
The UK’s Foreign Office confirmed it was in contact with Camoccio’s family and the relevant authorities in Egypt.


Arab world mourns death of Kuwait’s emir

Updated 16 min 28 sec ago

Arab world mourns death of Kuwait’s emir

  • Kuwait says goodbye to “Emir of Humanity”
  • Sheikh Sabah has been succeeded as emir by his brother

The Gulf states and the wider Middle East mourned the death on Tuesday of the emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah.
Sheikh Sabah, who was 91, had ruled Kuwait since 2006, and steered its foreign policy for more than 50 years. He died in the US, where he had been in hospital since July following surgery in Kuwait.

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman sent their condolences to the people of Kuwait and the Al-Sabah family. (AP)

Flags flew at half staff in Kuwait, which began 40 days of mourning. “Goodbye, Emir of Humanity,” read a large banner on a street near the Kuwait stock exchange.
Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman sent their condolences to the people of Kuwait and the Al-Sabah family.
“With the departure of Sheikh Sabah, we lose a wise leader who devoted his life to the service of his country and the Islamic and Arab nations,” said the Saudi Foreign Minister, Prince Faisal bin Farhan. “We console ourselves and our brothers in Kuwait for this great loss.”

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

GCC Secretary-General Dr. Nayef Falah Al-Hajraf said the world had “lost the pioneer of development, always striving for good, love and peace, aiming to strengthen harmony, cooperation and solidarity among the peoples of the world, and who spared no effort for the good of all humanity.”
Dr. Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen, secretary-general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, said Sheikh Sabah was a voice of wisdom and moderation. “He was one of the leaders of Kuwait who worked on its prosperity and supported its stability,” he said.

Crown Prince Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah succeeds Sheikh Sabah. (AP)

Sheikh Sabah has been succeeded as emir by his brother, Crown Prince Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, 83, who will be sworn in on Wednesday.
Dahim Alqahtani, a Kuwaiti politics expert, said the emirate’s policies were unlikely to change under the new emir. “I believe Kuwait will follow Sheikh Sabah’s policies, which are based on balance and bridging differences,” he told Arab News.