Saudi opens hajj registration for foreign residents

The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said that health standards would be the main determinant for choosing the pilgrims. (File: Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 07 July 2020

Saudi opens hajj registration for foreign residents

  • 70 percent pilgrims will be non-Saudis residing in Saudi Arabia

MAKKAH: Sound health will be the main criterion for allowing people to perform Hajj this year so as to ensure pilgrims’ safety, the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said on Monday.

Of the total 10,000 pilgrims, 70 percent will be non-Saudis residing in the Kingdom, while the remaining 30 percent will be citizens, the ministry added.
Priority will be given to people who do not suffer from any chronic disease. They will have to undergo a polymerase chain reaction test to ensure they do not have COVID-19.
People who have not performed Hajj before and are aged 20-50 will be allowed to perform the pilgrimage. They will have to commit to a 14-day quarantine both before and after performing Hajj.

FASTFACT

• People who have not performed Hajj before and are aged 20-50 will be allowed to perform the pilgrimage.

• Priority will be given to people who do not suffer from any chronic disease.

Non-Saudi residents who meet the requirements can register at localhaj.haj.gov.sa. Registration began on Monday and will continue until July 10.  The ministry said an exceptional plan has been prepared for this year, and applying for Hajj via its website will be treated as an initial submission.
Final registration will be considered only after issuance of the final approval, and after ensuring that the applicant has met all the health and regulatory standards. The result of the application will be sent via text message.
Applicants have to declare that they do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or respiratory diseases, and that they are not infected with COVID-19 or show any symptoms.


Saudi Arabia’s civil defense rescues hundreds from floods after torrential rain

Updated 8 min 35 sec ago

Saudi Arabia’s civil defense rescues hundreds from floods after torrential rain

  • More than 600 people have been provided with shelter
  • The Asir region was the hardest hit

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s civil defense has saved almost 700 people after torrential rain caused flooding in several areas of the Kingdom.
Between July 26 to Aug. 4, 77 people including 11 families, have been rescued in Makkah, Madinah, Asir, Jazan, and Al-Baha, the media center of the General Directorate of Civil Defense said Wednesday.
More than 600 people have been provided with shelter, including three families.
The Asir region was the hardest hit and had the highest number of rescues, while the lowest was Madinah with one rescue.
The center said eight committees have been formed in a number of affected areas to limit the damage and losses from the rain.
Civil defense called on citizens and residents in areas experiencing torrential rains in the Kingdom to take precautions and not to walk in the valleys or wide and avoid torrents of water, to move away from areas exposed to flooding caused by heavy rains.